• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive shaft bearing...09 Nytro xtx

mp5

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
09 Nytro XTX
So I thought I would have a look at my drive shaft bearing today. Been a few yrs since dealer replaced it (probably only 1000 - 1500 kms on it).

Took off secondary
Took off left plastic lower shroud
Unbolted my after market belt guard (Nitros223 guard)

PB blasted the two set screws on back side of bearing, and was able to take them out.

I was finally able to pull out the bearing and the bearing plate w little trouble. Lowered my sled and supported the drive shaft.

I'm going to replace the bearing as it's a little rough...and although it did have grease inside, it also had some rust.

So a few questions...

1..This bearing has a totally different seal than the jackshaft bearing which I easily pryed off and regreased. I actually ruined the drive shaft seal with my pick, so I could get at the bearings. Is this driveshaft bearing normally more difficult to get the seal off than compared to the jackshaft seal?

2...Driveshaft bearing has an attached collar that the set screws go into. This is part of the bearing..correct? So the new bearing will have that same collar?

3.. After I unbolted my driveshaft bearing housing...the 6 bolt holes no longer allign perfectly with their bolt holes into the side of the motor housing. How do I get those holes alligned when I put everything back together...??

Thanks all

So a few questions...

1..This bearing has a totally different seal than the jackshaft bearing which I easily pryed off and regreased. I actually ruined the drive shaft seal with my pick, so I could get at the bearings. Is this driveshaft bearing normally more difficult to get the seal off than compared to the jackshaft seal?

2...Driveshaft bearing has an attached collar that the set screws go into. This is part of the bearing..correct? So the new bearing will have that same collar?

3.. After I unbolted my driveshaft bearing housing...the 6 bolt holes no longer allign perfectly with their bolt holes into the side of the motor housing. How do I get those holes alligned when I put everything back together...??

Thanks all

1) Some seals just are tighter then others.. it happens. Are you talking the chain case side lower?
2) Is this on the lower drive shaft speedo side? Yes they have a color on the inner race with 2 set screws. Save the set screws as most of the replacements dont have the set screws.
3)Are you talking the lower dirve shaft on the chain case side? There is an 0 ring right? Can you post some pictures so I can see what your asking?

Loosen up your track to take tension off the driveshaft. That should help you get your bearing housing bolts in.

Mr Sled...I am referring to the driveshaft bearing on the clutch side. It's the bearing behind the speedo...attached to the drive shaft.

It has a totally different seal than the clutch side jackshaft bearing. I was able to take that seal off w no problem and clean/regrease it.

My cell won't load my pics...says the file is too big

Mr Sled...I am referring to the driveshaft bearing on the clutch side. It's the bearing behind the speedo...attached to the drive shaft.

It has a totally different seal than the clutch side jackshaft bearing. I was able to take that seal off w no problem and clean/regrease it.

My cell won't load my pics...says the file is too big

Got it. Yes that bearing has a collar with 2 set screws. Also you can pull both seals just be more careful on the collar side. As far as cell phone images, yes they are usually huge and will need to be reduced. I added an image resizer app. Mush easier to load images for web.

Hère's the bearing

Attachments

• 20171119_213859.jpg
    20171119_213859.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 454
The front side of the driveshaft bearing

Attachments

• 20171119_214245.jpg
    20171119_214245.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 335
Does anyone happen to know the p/n for this speedo bearing on the clutch side?

93306-20589 should do the trick.

I have noticed on some replacement speedo bearings (drive shaft - clutch side) that the seal is not intended to be removed without seriously compromising it. It contains a very rigid metal seal coated in rubber.
MS

93306-20589 should do the trick.

I have noticed on some replacement speedo bearings (drive shaft - clutch side) that the seal is not intended to be removed without seriously compromising it. It contains a very rigid metal seal coated in rubber.
MS

Yesss.....what a pita. I was fully hoping to just pop that off, wd40 it, dry and repack it. But instead I compromised the seal and ended up learning how to take out the whole bearing. Glad I did though...now I know how and won't be as big a deal next time.

Oh and thanks for the p/n man.
I searched all through my service manual for that part and could not find it. It wasn't in the track section or the engine section....

[I searched all through my service manual for that part and could not find it. It wasn't in the track section or the engine section..]
I am guessing you haven't noticed the parts finder button on the top right corner of this page. ;)!

Lol....do now. I usually just go online for p/n's but was un the shop late last night w my serv manual. I was determined to find it in there...lol

Just an F.Y.I if you crop the picture it will let you upload it. ;)

Yeah...that's what I ended up doing, which is why only a portion of the pics are showing lol. Been a while since I've posted pics on TY and couldn't figure out why they weren't uploading.

Picking up new bearings tomorrow.

Back