• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive shaft bearing - stuck

Sevey

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder RTX
Thought I would pop the drive shaft bearing off (secondary side).

It was recently off and cleaned up. So I know it's not corroded on, but the bugger does not want to come off the shaft.

Aside from popping chain case open and pushing the entire shaft over, what am I missing.

Tried a small pry bar from behind to pry it out , no go. Set screw have been removed.

Ms

Sounds like you may not need those set screws after all. I am assuming you have loosened the tension off the track? What about tapping it from the inside?

Track is hanging. I can turn the drivers back and forth without the track turning.

When it was apart, shaft was cleaned and greased before assembly. I would think this thing would just slide off.

I have tried a pry bar from the inside - prying on the collar and rotating the track to get apply even pressure. It should just slide off.......

This isn't supposed to happen........ughh
Ms

When u had earing out before, did u support the driveshaft so it wouldnt hang unsupported? If not..just wondering if its binding a little. Maybe try squirting a little penetrant from the inside and wait an hr or so.

As long as you loosened the 2 set screws you should be able to move it. If you have an open end wrench that will fit on the shaft and against the bearing you could try a few taps against it to see if it will move. I got mine off that way.

Pete

Mp5 - your comment about binding made me have another go at it.

I held the shaft with a crescent wrench and grabbed the bearing collar with channel locks to turn it and break it loose. I could not spin that collar a full revolution, but it would go back and forth. I have to believe it was binding on something.

In the end, prying on the collar on multiple spots, using a heat gun and wd, it popped off and shot across the room. Of course sticking heat gun up in that area is almost impossible due to lack of space and lots of plastic and rubber to be concerned with. I made a funnel out of sheet metal to direct the heat right on the collar and I think that help the wd get in there.

In the end, That tunnel is not as true as it once was due to wear and tear and I wonder if that has caught up to me here.

Thanks guys for the comments. All the little bits played a part in solving this one.
Something that should have been 5 min killed most of an afternoon and part of an evening.
Ughh
Ms

Awesome glad you got the bugger off!! Clean the shaft off good and put a little antisieze on it (just a little) should make the next one come off easier.

Pete

Back