• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive shaft broke just outside cog.

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha 2003 Rx1 mountain
Driveshaft broke on my rx1 like it was sawn off. Clean break! Going slow over bumps and crack there it went!
Gonna get new shaft and a new track while im under there. I have 8 cog.
Can i use the old coggs on any track?
Can i use a a 9 or a 7 cog set up on any track?
I have only 2 cogs in there now
Can i use 2 cogs and 2 end idler cogs?
I dont understand why they differ and quantity

Are different lugg tracks set up for different size cogs and number of cogs?

The driveshafts can snap like that around 10K miles. When it comes to drivers there are 'cogs' as you say most will use the term teeth (T). There is also pitch which is the distance between the cogs. These have to match the track your getting. Common old school is 2.52" pitch and 8T drivers. 2.86" pitch tracks are single ply and lighter weight then old school 2.52" tracks. There are many reasons to select your drivers and track carefully. I would start asking what track fits your riding style and see what lengths and pitches its available in, once selected purchase drivers to match. Good luck.

Thank you for the info. I am new at this stuff but learning fast. My sled has 6k on it and shaft broke! Sucks. But moving forward i am replacing shaft and maybe drivers.
Is there a speed or ratio difference if i go to a 9 tooth drivers or a 7 tooth driver?
I do mostly groomed trail riding.
I have an 8t on there now.
Should i just keep the 8?
I have a 141 track also.

Yes the drivers play a huge part in the overall gearing of the sled. If you change them you may need to adjust the gearing in the chain case and possibly even adjust your clutching. The 8T is a good happy medium between efficiency and sticking a larger lug track in there. The trail sleds come with 9T 2.52" pitch tracks (old sleds, all new stuff is single ply). Apex mountains were 7T 3" pitch which if you look at the OD is close to a 8T 2.52 pitch. 141 track? You may want to double check that.

Your right. Thats whats on there now a 8t 2.52 with 141 in track. Can i re use the old drivers if they are in decent shape?

Are you running 2'' or bigger paddles on your track ? If so you need the 8 tooth drivers. I have a driveshaft with 4 drive wheels on it if you need one.

Ken.........

Thats awsome! I am replacing the track. I have a 2 driver 8 tooth in there now but would like a 4 driver. I think mine is a 2.52 pitch. The drivers i have now are a little beat up. How much you want for your 4 driver set up?

What is the diference of a 7, 8 or 9 tooth driver other than the amount of teeth. I have a 9 t driver but i dont think it will give track enough clearance. Or will it

The higher the tooth count equals larger diameter as long as the pitch is the same.. I'll look for that driveshaft tonight.

Ken.....

Thank you for the info. I am new at this stuff but learning fast. My sled has 6k on it and shaft broke! Sucks. But moving forward i am replacing shaft and maybe drivers.
Is there a speed or ratio difference if i go to a 9 tooth drivers or a 7 tooth driver?
I do mostly groomed trail riding.
I have an 8t on there now.
Should i just keep the 8?
I have a 141 track also.

6 to 10k there is a ton of them that broke in that range and in the same place. Mine broke at 9 20mph climbing a very gradual hill with throttle barely on. Mine broke right under the set screw on the collar beside the driver. Seems like that's the spot!

Clean break just outside the collar actually flush with the outside of the octogon collar. Pissed me right off it did. Good thing i wasnt way out in the sticks.

I was just happy mine didn't break at the end of a long straight, Hard to scrub off speed with your feet! Just before it broke there where more then a few spots just like that! One run of a 100mph down a lake, the shore would have hurt I think!

Mine broke just coming out of greenville maine. Just after a fill up it was real bumpy because of a weekend of sledders. Trail looked like moguls on a ski slope. Was going over them real easy them bang!!!! All through for the weekend. Did alot of beer drinking after that.
Now i have a new track, new axle, new bearings and nw drivers. Should be good to go for next year!

Back