• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Driven clutch slider buttons

swampcat

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 S W LTX-GT
How much wear is acceptable on these ramp sliders ? Have 6800 miles and they are starting to get grooves in them from the helix ramps. Plenty of material left though, before any metal to metal contact.

Time for new buttons/sliders. Once they get grooves they are ready to break at any time.

I found that the buttons in the Nytro and Viper secondary clutches are very expensive so I did a little research to see if they are used in any other sleds. I took the buttons out of the secondary from my '99 SX 600 and they are the same as those in the secondary of my Nytro and Viper. But, they are a different part number and WAAAAAYYYYYY cheaper than the Nytro/Viper buttons. I have successfully put the SX buttons in the Nytro/Viper secondary clutches several times for a lot less money as compared to buying the part number listed for the Nytro/Viper clutches.

Damn, there goes a really nice cost savings out the window.

Just don't try and get away with the cheap ones from Dennis Kirk or something, they are not the same material. I found out the hard way years ago.

I got them off of ebay using the Yamaha part number for the SX. I will try to back track my purchases and put the info on here if I can find it.

Just don't try and get away with the cheap ones from Dennis Kirk or something, they are not the same material. I found out the hard way years ago.
Agree, this is not a part to cheap out on. The Yamaha buttons are high quality material, hence why they are expensive.
Also, the engine braking on these four strokes puts extra stress on these compared to the old two strokes.

How much wear is acceptable on these ramp sliders ? Have 6800 miles and they are starting to get grooves in them from the helix ramps. Plenty of material left though, before any metal to metal contact.
Take a close look at the worn surface for hair-line cracks. They sometimes crumble, or break off, before they wear out completely.

My Ebay account purchase history unfortunately does not go far enough back to find the buttons I ordered.

Back