• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Driveshaft or jack shaft bearing?

Studroes144

TY 4 Stroke God
Anyone had to replace one of these yet? First I felt it was today, 2900 miles, my left foot feels some vibrating at cruising speeds, when I accelerate or decelerate I don't feel it, only cruising. Thoughts?

Your Chaincase might be on the verge of falling in "neutral". If it does this again, stop go into reverse, backup a few feet and go forward again and continue your ride. If this stops the vibration it's because the gears were almost "disengaged" and we're causing this vibration. (Been there felt that). Just an experience but sounds similar

Ok...haven't had any bad bearing experience yet...sorry

That would also be a first for me...I doubt it. Are you running studs ?

Yupp 160 studs, but I have 2900 miles and I have never felt this before today. Sled is in the garage thawing out, will inspect stuff tomorrow. Hoping it's just a boggy wheel or something simple.
That's why I was asking , the only idler wheel failures I've experienced in that mileage was from studded tracks. I'm anxious to know if you have some "busted" idlers or rear wheels. Keep me posted. Thx

You'd think if clutches were out of wack that it would've just eaten the belt. I put prolly 20 miles on in the last 2 days just riding out in the back fields and didn't notice anything, but on our 100 mile trip today I noticed it all day

That's why I was asking , the only idler wheel failures I've experienced in that mileage was from studded tracks. I'm anxious to know if you have some "busted" idlers or rear wheels. Keep me posted. Thx

I hope that's all it is, even a tri-hub would be fine with me..seems weird I'm only feeling it in my left foot tho, but it's easily noticeable when cruising

Clutches are "never" (humhum) out of
Wack. And would be felt from engagement. Hhhhuuuummm

Ya engagement is still perfectly smooth, no pulsating at all. Only time I feel it is when I'm holding the throttle steady at 1 speed. I didn't feel it at all under 30 mph, but cruising at anywhere from 30-50 I felt it. Wot it felt perfect

didn't notice any vibrations, had gotten a little noisy (in hindsight) then rolling across a lake at 85 it made some bad metal/clank/bang noises
I got out of the throttle, heard a few, much worse, bang/snap, track locked up & we slid to a stop
smelled like hot oil, and had hot oil running out of the bottom right beneath the chaincase
pics from the dealer;
PART_1422889139009_IMG_0517-L.jpg

PART_1422889126557_IMG_0518-L.jpg

loose bits got between the chain and gears and pretty much broke everything,
so far, all warrantied & back up and on the snow in 10 days or so, nice and quiet 150 miles last weekend.
sled had 4700 miles at the time, might be a good idea to check

Back