• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Driveshaft or jack shaft bearing?

I have 1700 miles and haven't blew a belt so don't think that caused your problem

Only change made to the drivetrain was different gears and chain..but don't think that'd explain a vibration on my left foot..I say a vibration..it was more than that, atleast something that can't be overlooked

How much (if any) play should be in the helix as it rides on the shaft in the secondary? Just pulled that apart to look and mine does have a bit of play, it's not floppy, but you can feel a little bit of play in it

Also when I slide the 2 sheaves back together, no spring or anything, the inner sheave with the 3 adjuster bolts has play on the shaft too, more than what the helix has, this could possibly explain why I only feel it at cruising speeds cuz when it's under load on acceleration or deceleration I don't feel it.

Checked all wheels, everything is perfectly tight, no play, reached under and pushing and pulling and spinning the driveshaft every which way I feel nothing, that all seems tight, jack shaft on the clutch side from what I can tell has no play at all, not sure on the chaincase side but I really can't imagine that'd be it. So is it a chance those bushings on the secondary need to be replaced? If that play is normal I'll throw it all back together and try to run it some this weekend to see if it was just ice, if bushings need to be replaced I'll get them coming.

Last edited:
That is a good point, to me I'd think you'd feel that at any rpm/speed? Or not necessarily? Mine is only cruising at 30+mph. Just went out for a bit in our shop driveway, only a few hundred feet but got it up to 30 and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary, with sneakers on. Hoping it was just ice, will take it out tomorrow and a couple extra belts to throw on just to see as well.

I have a 2014 XF Cat Turbo which is same body style and a RX1 Turbo with 35,000 klm. My RX1 is vibration free compared to my Turbo Cat. I know there is a lot of vibration coming from that skid. I have big gouges on my rails where my scratchers are seating when not is use. It's probably a normal Cat vibration. You can run it on a stand and watch the driven clutch to see if you did not bent the jackshaft. I know the jackshaft bearings are cheap and Cat have issues with them. I replaced mine with bearings made in the USA.

I just went through the same problem you are having,mine was making a thumping sound at slow speeds & winning noise, I could not hear the noise at higher speeds,I pulled the chain case off & found the jack shaft bearing cage came apart & the ball bearings shifted to one side, I replaced both jack shaft bearings because you have to pull jack shaft to replace the bearing in chain case,

I just went through the same problem you are having,mine was making a thumping sound at slow speeds & winning noise, I could not hear the noise at higher speeds,I pulled the chain case off & found the jack shaft bearing cage came apart & the ball bearings shifted to one side, I replaced both jack shaft bearings because you have to pull jack shaft to replace the bearing in chain case,
I'm surprised Yamaha kept all the weak components from cat. When I bought my cat in 2014 I checked on HCS site and found out about all the issues with the chain case. I replaced all the AC cheap parts with aftermarket. Jackshaft, bearings, chain, gears. I'm surprised Yamaha kept all the junk parts from Cat.

Last edited:
Having the drive shaft replaced now after only 800 km...however this is due to an encounter with a stump

I'm surprised Yamaha kept all the weak components from cat. When I bought my cat in 2014 I checked on HCS site and found out about all the issues with the chain case. I replaced all the AC cheap parts with aftermarket. Jackshaft, bearings, chain, gears. I'm surprised Yamaha kept all the junk parts from Cat.

They did NOT keep all the cat parts in chain case. Most of parts you put in your cat were replaced or changed in the viper.

Back