• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Driveshaft wear at 10000kms

buy new or get that welded and turned down to exact spec.

Toast.
Buy new factory one? Send in to get chromed where bearing goes? Buy lighter stronger one from Hurricane? Weld up then turn down to right size? What else?

And which of those options will not allow it to be pouched again in 2 years

Hurricane option seems the best for me but cant see how it would last any longer than the oem

Can the old bearing just be pounded out without removing caliper ?
Or maybe i should pull it and replace all brake fluid anyways

From what I've seen even new shafts are not correct.

I wish I could find it, someone in the Sidewinder/Cat 998T Facebook Group who was from Ontario posted that he was doing the welding up + machining down service. Because I only have 5300km on mine in one season but I'm going to have this done before next season.

Anyone know who in Ontario would weld these up and machine them down?

A new shaft and bearing compound may be a good answer but how would we pull the caliper off ?

How is the drill/tapped shaft holding up ?

There's been threads on this issue multiple times. For those that aren't already toast, many have been removing bearing, cleaning everything really well, then using green loctite bearing retainer with a couple of dimples added to shaft for interference and then pressing bearing back on. I think that "fix" has been pretty successful. Suppose the best fix is to make/alter shaft bearing journal to exact correct size then actually press the bearing on. Either that or some have added a set screw I presume to the ID of the shaft that they tighten once they have the bearing on. BAD DESIGN!!

Can the old bearing just be pounded out without removing caliper ?
Or maybe i should pull it and replace all brake fluid anyways
Caliper does not need to be split.

Relatively simple triangular puller that goes into the same 3 holes that mount the housing onto tunnel. It pushes on end of track shaft. Might need a little heat to soften green loctite.
I'd rather face this when its time to get the bearing rather than be a part of all the nightmares.

From what I've seen even new shafts are not correct.

I wish I could find it, someone in the Sidewinder/Cat 998T Facebook Group who was from Ontario posted that he was doing the welding up + machining down service. Because I only have 5300km on mine in one season but I'm going to have this done before next season.

Anyone know who in Ontario would weld these up and machine them down?

Any machine shop should be able to do it. Our local guy just did my buddies 2 weeks ago. Ill get mine done before next season. Cost was $100

So this procross has been out since 2012. Same set up and never heard so much about this right..??. so why all the 998s...

Back