• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Early dyno reports (850R)

The most common way is a progressives controller based on boost references. Not sure what ski doo is using but probably not as simple as that.

Ski-Doo's system claims zero meth for Appx 12-20 B4 meth is activated. So using vac/map doesn't make sense, as the system is reading boost pressure during that time frame. Must be reading intake temps?!?!

I was just giving the bookends of how it is managed on different installations. It can be as simple as a running engine and vacuum (not everything is boosted) to full table relating Water/Meth injection duty cycle to AFR/RPM. Given the small quantities doo is carrying around I suspect it is there primarily as a safety valve (anti-knock) at high boost so likely pulling pressure data and as long as they have a table for AFR they might as well carry a table for the water/meth injection.

On a side note, will we see aftermarket companies pushing their own water/meth mix? For the guy who looking to just do short lake runs there would be some small benefit to running more methanol and a slight improvement in boost.

Water/meth injection is not a panacea, you are talking about dropping cylinder temperatures ~25 deg and raising octane demand by ~1 to avoid knock. It is smart marketing choice for doo where the obvious win is not having to have a bigger cooling system or justify why it doesn't have one.

Well the 850 turbo dreams of a lake racer have vanished. Like consuela would say on family guy, traction, noooo no traction here.

Attachments

• IMG_7341.jpg
    IMG_7341.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_7342.jpg
    IMG_7342.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 126
Well the 850 turbo dreams of a lake racer have vanished. Like consuela would say on family guy, traction, noooo no traction here.
Good find! Lol. They don't need longer studs to go fast. But might need them from the dig. They'll figure something out, as we always do. I got my own problems to work on....lol.

Good find! Lol. They don't need longer studs to go fast. But might need them from the dig. They'll figure something out, as we always do. I got my own problems to work on....lol.
No but to run with a sidewinder down low is its chance. And having to change drivers and tracks to do it on a 23-24k sled just to use it as intended. It will always be a weapon on trail but meth tank is for lakes/fields not trail. And for trail weapon it would want 1.5” with studs which is also not doable.

No but to run with a sidewinder down low is its chance. And having to change drivers and tracks to do it on a 23-24k sled just to use it as intended. It will always be a weapon on trail but meth tank is for lakes/fields not trail. And for trail weapon it would want 1.5” with studs which is also not doable.
Yeah, it sucks. Always something for skidoo to overcome. Apparently, it has its limitations, that I'm sure they didn't expect. Kidney punch, Kidney punch, low blow!!! Hahaha. Its all in good fun.
Guess what.....there's more to come.
I saw a pic yesterday, dealer in Maine is preparing 6 of these guys for delivery.

That report on clearance is false...go look on Dootalk. They added clearance at the front of the bulkhead to be able to run the 9 tooth driver, one guy swapped in a 1.5 rip2 with 1.575 studs at the dealer - this was dealer recommended and installed. 68Gmc is doing even longer studs (he has highly modded sleds, both from doo and Yamaha). So they will be able to get traction for sure! Much better pics on Dootalk.

I think this will be a very fast sled off the line, time will tell.

Here is video of 1.64 being installed.

Last edited:
That report on clearance is false...go look on Dootalk. They added clearance at the front of the bulkhead to be able to run the 9 tooth driver, one guy swapped in a 1.5 rip2 with 1.575 studs at the dealer - this was dealer recommended and installed. 68Gmc is doing even longer studs (he has highly modded sleds, both from doo and Yamaha). So they will be able to get traction for sure! Much better pics on Dootalk.

Yeah, I'm not 100% convinced of anything. I'm pretty sure box stock it will be good for 115mph-/+ (not Speedo indicated) and that's with the washer pump going full tilt.
If we dance around the modified arena, most winders go 130mph+, 140mph+. So, being specific.... How fast are you thinking?

Yes if they swap to an 8 or 9 tooth driver they can. Without it they cannot. Says right in your story, swapped to 9tooth driver.

Yes if they swap to an 8 or 9 tooth driver they can. Without it they cannot. Says right in your story, swapped to 9tooth driver.
They now COME stock with 9 tooth drivers, its only the XRS850 turbo that has that driver. No swapping needed...

For the record, I love my Yamacat and dont have one of those 850 turbos, I just hate seeing misinformation.

Last edited:
You guys crack me up with these comments. "100 mph at 1/3 throttle" lol come on, I love my Winder but I need my tall boots for this thread. Should be fun this winter!

You guys crack me up with these comments. "100 mph at 1/3 throttle" lol come on, I love my Winder but I need my tall boots for this thread. Should be fun this winter!
Ok it’s half throttle, lol

Cruise down the trail 105 mph at less than 1/4 throttle on a tuner sidewinder.
Do it easily on mine.

Cruise down the trail 105 mph at less than 1/4 throttle on a tuner sidewinder.
Do it easily on mine.
I'll call BS on that.

Back