• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ECP Air Kit versus ECP mod airbox results. Early results.

SUPERTUNER

TY 4 Stroke Master
Website
www.easterncycleperf.com
The first thing we did was dyno test Cubby's RX1 just as it arrived here from him. It dynoed exactly where it was suspected to have so we knew we had a clean bill of health and that this engine was going to be a good one to test with. Numbers were pretty much exactly where they all the other we have done are.

The first thing I tried was the air kit with the silver CV slide springs...it dynoed as I said above right where it should have. Next, I tried the new blue CV slide springs. There was a very slight lean area at 4500 RPM's that lasted to 5200 RPM's. But this could easily be fixed by adjusting the needle clip position...however I did not. My theory is that with the lighter spring, the slide opens a lot quicker, thereby creating a slight lean spot. It really wasn't that bad to worry about frankly anyway. However, I am happy to say that everywhere else, the torque was up 1 foot pound right to the rev limiter. Now while this is not a huge gain, please keep in mind that we are trying desperately to improve on an already real clean running and carbureting engine. Being also that I left the 165 main jets in, I am sure we could have produced higher numbers if I leaned the jetting for the 80 ambient air temperature (fahrenheit) that we had in the dyno room. Despite this the engine ran well and leaning it would have serviced the ego more than anything else and my ego has been fed for so long that it is no longer hungry... :tg: .

Next we switched over to the mod airbox. I left everything in the carbs as is. Blue springs, 165 main jets. There early power imroved dramatically!!! I mean a lot! The numbers realized showed me a 6.4 foot pound torque gain at 5100 RPM's. and this maintained to 6800 RPMs. The the torque evens out versus the air kit but is better yet from 6900 to 7800. However at about 8800 RPM's the power falls dramtically. and does not recover until 10,300 RPM's. What I mean is that on the graph, there is a big dip that begins at 8800 and lasts until 10,300 RPM's. way up in RPM, very close to the rev limiter, the power is equal to the air kit! This has me excited in that the reading indicated that the engine is getting lean in that RPM range. (8800 - 10,300) I hate taking away fuel to make power so this is actually an ideal situation because now I know I could pour fuel to the engine and make it improved in this offending area.

I ran out of time today to richen the carbs but will do so next time I test. Probably tomorrow. (Sunday)

Right now it looks like the mod airbox is going to do what the air kits do versus the stock airbox in that the engine will make "quicker" power. Even if there is no significant gain at peak...making power in a shorter duration of time will be like getting a running start against your buddies.

I actually have several airbox mods to test, so this is going to take some time but I am committed to this and intend to see it all the way through. Please be patient with me and I will report all when all is said and done.

Freddie Klies
www.easterncycleperf.com

Hmmmm, So what your saying Freddie is all this bragging I have been doing about the air kit and dynarex's EVAC kit by the dyno standards holds true. It dynoed right where it should with your kit installed. Hmmmm, I feel justified. All last year I have had my arms yanked out of thier respective sockets and smoking the sleds I could not have smoked until I put that stupid air kit on. And this also proves to me that all the guys on here complaining about the loss of top end REALLY did have other problems and issues with thier sleds. As you said before, the DYNO doesnt lie, it doesnt know how to lie----------------Cubby

Freddie , results sound intertesting. I really like how you ecp kit worked at higher elevations. Will be looking forward to purchasing the new air box and having the power kick in quicker to produce more track spin at lower rpms, should be great for boondocking. Good Luck ;)! ;)!

Sounds great so far.... :yam:

I am looking at purchasing an original ECP or maybe the air box depending on the results....

Good luck Freddie....Thanks for keeping us informed.... :flag:

so if I read that correctly, the air box mod (if jetted correctly) made the same power as the air filter kit? I"m looking forward to more info as I'll be going with one or the other this year. :Rockon:

DaveRX1 said:
Hey Freddy, what do you do to the air box???

Dave RX1

Dave...I modify them. I am testing a few different mods at this time and will release whatever works best. Not only would it be unfair to me to tell you what I do but also to potential future customers becasue I will not release this until I am certain that they will do all that I want them to do.

Monker...fact is, with minimal tuning time spent on the airbox mod, it has already produced quite a bit more torque earlier in the run than the air filters. At peak, the air filters crush the airbox but I do believe that I could remedy this with jetting and/or CV slide springs.

I will keep ya'll posted.

Freddie

This is great Freddy. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.

Are you planning on offering this mod air box for the RS sleds also?

This is great Freddie (sorry got the spelling wrong the first time :oops: ). Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.

Are you planning on offering this mod air box for the RS sleds also?

Aw come on now you are carrying it TOO far. One Rev beat them and with the ECP kit in 500 feet my money would be on the RX1.

I believe in objective criticism but you go far beyond objective. :Rockon:

Jim

Back