• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ECP Crankcase filter question

RobX-1

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 50th Apex XT-X, 08 40th Apex LTX GT, 08 40th Nytro RTX, & 03 RX-1
I installed the ECP filter kit and wanted to ask all you other guys running the kit how you installed the crankcase filter. I realize that you are suppose to use the hose that was connected to the stock air box but I was wondering about connecting it to the hose that comes out of the crank (by-passing the plastic container that sits in between the crank and the stock air box). Having the crankcase filter installed like this and removing the container makes the fit and finish a lot nicer. My question is this, will removing that plastic container having any ill effects? I contacted Freddie and he stated there would be no performance gains or loss. I am just not sure what the container does. At first, I thought it might be a "catch basin" for any oil that gets blown out of the crank but when I removed the stock air box, I noticed the foam filter had oil on it and when I removed that container, no oil dripped out of it. So I am really not sure what it serves as other than maybe help route the hose from the crank to the air box. What are your thoughts :?: :?: :?:

That's excatly what I did. it blew all the K&N oil out of that filter and all over the engine compartment. The color of the filter has gone from the pinky red tint of K&N oil to a engine oil color. It also seems to have quit spewing oil. Maybe like the cooling system, the oil system seeks its own ideal level and once there it stops blowing oil? I do think the oil that comes out is related to high engine operation speeds.
You're right, I like the installation much better too. I WAY cleaner looking. PB

I had to put mine on the other side of the engine .You will get oil over your spare belt and clutch parts.It did it to mine and the belt will slip on your clutch. :x

Is there a change for 04? I only have 40 miles on my sled but haven't seen any oil anywhere..............

I had the same problem where there was a fine mist of oil on the clutch guard. I attributed this to the fact that I have 4600 miles on the sled and it has a little more blow-by. I plan to use a piece of heater hose and relocate the breather to the right side of the engine and away from the clutch. If there is a mist on the guard it has to be getting on the belt and clutch. For the short term I put a sock around the filter to contain the mist. This worked well, but, looks nasty.

I know Freddie wasn't keen on the idea, but one of the guys on here simply tapped the CC hose into one of the K&N's with an adaptor. Maybe this would be a good idea. If your gonna loose a fine mist of oil wouldn't it be better if it's injested by the engine rather than spit into the engine compartment :?:

Back