• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ECU interchange

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
I have searched the subject and cant find a concrete answer. Will a 2018 Sidewinder ECU work in a 2017?. I want to flash my sled but would rather keep my stock ECU stock for future resale or trade.

Word of caution.....

Without going into too much detail, the ECU and Gauge BOTH keep track of mileage(odo).

Read into it what you will.

Dan

Word of caution.....

Without going into too much detail, the ECU and Gauge BOTH keep track of mileage(odo).

Read into it what you will.

Dan

From what my dealer told me the the hours is stored in an ECU and the miles is stored in the cluster.

You can by the cluster also and replace at the same time you do the ECU and that way they still match.

I was told hrs in ECU and Miles on gauge.
That is how BRP does it too I believe....but according to this source, the miles are stored in both.

Just got this info recently, as I was wondering myself.

Just something that should be kept in mind for guys who are trying to play the warranty game with a 2nd ECU and a tune.

Dan

I am not trying fool anyone with the mileage. I just would like the original ECU kept stock just in case of a warranty situation. Also I could put the sled back to stock when I traded/sold it along and would be able to sell the flashed ECU to recoup some of my investment.

I am not trying fool anyone with the mileage. I just would like the original ECU kept stock just in case of a warranty situation. Also I could put the sled back to stock when I traded/sold it along and would be able to sell the flashed ECU to recoup some of my investment.
I hear ya.....I wasn't implying any ODO tampering, just wanted guys to understand that the ECU does carry mileage too, so to do things correctly you would need to also buy another cluster, and swap both ECU and cluster at same times, so the ODOs line up with eachother. Its inevitable that the sled when sold would show less mileage, though.

Dan

Is it really worth it??? You are probably looking at 2000$ for spare units

Is it really worth it??? You are probably looking at 2000$ for spare units

You can pick up new ecu’s for around $370 from Yamaha and the gauges are about $300. You can buy both and flash it for under $1200. That’s worth it to me or you may be able to find some used gauges and ecu’s and flash for less.

I dont think its needed really, as the tuned up 998s out there have all been tested pretty hard with big power and no issues. If you do have an issue, YAMAHA will likely scrutinize it so closely, it will be really tough to get all these items to show proper miles and all coincide IMO.

These aren't two strokes that burn down often.

I am really thinking resale/trade. I can resell the sled as stock and offer the flashed ECU/muffler clutching separately to the buyer or to someone else. Some people like to buy used units as stock. Some dealers REALLY don't want to take a unit in trade with performance parts installed. Some don't care. I would have both.
The ECU's are cheap.

If you purchase the Gap Flasher from Hurricane, you can buy the bundle of tunes for the same price as one single tune, have the option of Stock tune, 240 tune ,270 tune and 290 tune. Put it back to stock on trade in or sale and still own the flasher to put on the new sled or re-sell the flasher. The flasher also allows you to read and clear codes, add anti lag, data log, flash you own dash and a host of other things.

Why futz around with another ECU? Think about it. It's a no brainer.

Back