• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Electrical help urgently needed

Dusty Dan

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 SRViper LTX LE
2012 Vector
I have two fingers that have had major reconstruction resulting in very poor circulation which at times, causes severe pain. It so happens that they are the same two that I use on the brake lever.

I purchased a heated brake lever that was supposed to be plug and play, however it arrived with the wrong connection. I sent pics but the new connector that I just received does not resemble anything that I can find on my machine.
Electrical.jpg

The above pic is the lower right side just below the reverse actuator and shows all available connectors. The one with green has about 4.5 volts on left and 12 volts on right side but the connector I received is just a very common standard 2 wire connector. My sled is a 2016 Viper LTX. I tried a direct 12 volt connection for a few second and the lever got too hot.

Questions:

1) Have there been wiring changes with the 2016 that would account for this?

2) Are there others out there that have done this installation and can help?

3) Any suggestions on where to tap into?

Any and all help much appreciated.

My 14' has a 2 prong accessory plug on the two wires that you have a red and black connected to with butt connectors. Red/Blue is 12v key on power I believe.

Here is a picture

Attachments

• 1DE70434-C887-444C-9F3D-A2F0415059FE.jpeg
    1DE70434-C887-444C-9F3D-A2F0415059FE.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 95
What brand lever? The only heated one I can find is Skinz. Looks to have a 3 wires combing from the lever so there must be a high/low/off switch to install with it somewhere.

Here is a picture
I was just going to send you a pic asking if it looked like that. Thank you very much, it explains a lot, they obviously changed the wiring sometime since 2014. I still have one concern though is I checked and it is 12 volts but when I ran 12 volts direct from a battery the handle got very hot. Any thoughts?

What brand lever? The only heated one I can find is Skinz. Looks to have a 3 wires combing from the lever so there must be a high/low/off switch to install with it somewhere.
Yes, it is from them but there is just 2 wires, red and black. It is the same with the original as well as the second connector sent to me. The butt connectors look like they are for the heated shield on a helmet.

Looks to me who ever put in your helmet plug cut the connector off.

That is not only possible but likely. I bought my sled brand new though so as far as I know it is factory. \i can try and jumper those wires and see what happens, but I already tested and it seems a full 12 volts.

Who installed helmet plug?Does the wire harness for heated brake lever comes with a fuse inline?

I don't know of an accessory plug on the sled with variable voltage. The only way to control the heat is voltage or resistance. I can't seem to find a picture online of the Cat/Viper version, did it come with any sort of switch? Sometimes the switch has resistors built in like the one for the factory heated seat. I can't believe that they would just have it plug straight into 12v without and current limiting device.

I have no idea. I bought it new unless that is installed by the dealer it should be factory. Yes, there is an inline fuse.

I don't know of an accessory plug on the sled with variable voltage. The only way to control the heat is voltage or resistance. I can't seem to find a picture online of the Cat/Viper version, did it come with any sort of switch? Sometimes the switch has resistors built in like the one for the factory heated seat. I can't believe that they would just have it plug straight into 12v without and current limiting device.

I agree, but no switch is supplied. I had thought that the connection would be controlled by the hand or thumb warmer switch. I have sent multiple emails and pics to supplier but no reply. Really frustrating.

The current limiting device is built right into the accessory being plugged in such as heated helmet shield or gps. You just can't hook a gps to 12v with out the current limiting device that is built into the factory cord that comes with it, it will fry i did it once.

If you can find an old potentiometer like on the old Yamaha sleds handwarmers you could wire it into the hot wire (series) and adjust the heat from there? Just a thought.

Back