• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Elka shock for singleshot suspension

Let me preface this by saying I'm not sold on the rear air shock however have that many people really been stuck due to the failure of one?? I just bought an 11 se so I'm in the air camp currently whether I like it or not..
I would travel with a spare Schrader valve that is what will fail and leave you stranded if you have one with you would be able to replace and be back on the trail home.

Much better ride with the Elka stage 4 rear shock. Only put about 200 miles on it so far, need to fine tune it yet.

Much better ride with the Elka stage 4 rear shock. Only put about 200 miles on it so far, need to fine tune it yet.
just received my elka today will be installing soon,i was also told by my dealer that Yamaha has an upgraded shock available for the 2016 xtx

I got the upgraded Yami shock on my 2016 vector xtx.. leary of it etc. Don't know the failure rates etc. Thinking of changing it out at some point..no hurry it's new but still.. how is your new elka doing? also how is the change done? can it be done with skid in? Single shot totally new to me.

I got the upgraded Yami shock on my 2016 vector xtx.. leary of it etc. Don't know the failure rates etc. Thinking of changing it out at some point..no hurry it's new but still.. how is your new elka doing? also how is the change done? can it be done with skid in? Single shot totally new to me.

I have not ridden the sled with the updated fox air shock.
The Elka shock is working out good.
I changed it with the suspension in the chassis. Had to let the air out of the air shock before removing it. I also had to back off the spring pressure to install the Elka.
Have not had the skid out yet. Still on original hifax.

I'm thinking of going to a coil over shock.. I have the upgraded shock from Yamaha but with my weight,saddlebags,winch,etc. I get 4 in of sag with 300lbs (the max) ... seems either Elka or Hygear has them only. Two different setups ..two different prices.
Hygear claims bigger shock. Better coil to stop binding and Elkas have hit the grease nipples..

Personally, I would go with Hygear. I feel like they cater to the snow business more than Elka.

I agree I believe.. seems better shock and spring. The reason was I asked you about removal and install is the weight I am with all my accessories and riding gear is over or at the max for the upgrade shock. So I worry about bottoming,excess wear on the shock.

Hygear offered to send me a bigger spring if the sag on the original spring was too much. So that would mean I'd have to remove the spring and reinstall the heavier spring and test (in the shop) ..on and on if needed until I get the sag I need. I would try to get the sag near 2 or 3 in so when I have a load of snow I'd be ok still.

A yamaha tech told me 4 in of sag is fine with the XV upgraded shock but man my machine sat so low with a pile of snow in it last ride it scared me..

Elka site is only showing the stage 2 shock for the 146 single shot skid on the 16 Apex, 1 NC2000 seems to have the stage 4 on his single shot xtx on his 16 Vector, what's up with that?

I had a couple issues with my rear Elka stage 4 shock that Elka worked with me and they corrected.

First the compression knob hit the grease fitting on the cross shaft and broke the knob off. Elka then installed a offset resivoir head on the shock to clear the grease fitting.

Second issue was with the offset resivoir I had to space out the relay rods on the left side of the shock and install with longer bolts.

With those two r &d issues corrected the shock performs awesome now. I didn't know I was going to have to do some r&d work for them. But I am happy to have it work out for the better.

The rear suspension rides so much better I went out and put the stage 4 shocks on the front also. Rides really nice now.

58191.jpeg

Rear shock with the offset resivoir.
58193.jpeg

Front shocks also. Ride is awesome now!

I had a couple issues with my rear Elka stage 4 shock that Elka worked with me and they corrected.

First the compression knob hit the grease fitting on the cross shaft and broke the knob off. Elka then installed a offset resivoir head on the shock to clear the grease fitting.

Second issue was with the offset resivoir I had to space out the relay rods on the left side of the shock and install with longer bolts.

With those two r &d issues corrected the shock performs awesome now. I didn't know I was going to have to do some r&d work for them. But I am happy to have it work out for the better.

The rear suspension rides so much better I went out and put the stage 4 shocks on the front also. Rides really nice now.

View attachment 139745
Rear shock with the offset resivoir.
View attachment 139746
Front shocks also. Ride is awesome now!
Looks like they installed a heavier spring on your rear shock also, How did you get the stage 4 shock for your xtx 146 single shot Vector, its not listed, the xtx 146 single shot rear suspension for the 2016 Apex Elka only lists the stage 2 Shock, was it a special order

Looks like they installed a heavier spring on your rear shock also, How did you get the stage 4 shock for your xtx 146 single shot Vector, its not listed, the xtx 146 single shot rear suspension for the 2016 Apex Elka only lists the stage 2 Shock, was it a special order

It was listed before. I don't know why they removed it.
The rear spring is for 150-180 lb rider.
Built for riders weight.

Back