• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Empty Coolant Reservoir

p2010

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Phazer MTX
2003 MXZ 500 Adrenalin
Hey Guys, I just purchased on 08 Phazer MTX. It has 1647 miles, and when tearing it down to change the oil, I noticed there wasn't any coolant in the reservoir. The sled's new to me, and I know little about its history. The oil looks good, it's not white or milky as far as I can tell on the dip, it doesn't smoke at all when it's started nor when giving it throttle. It starts great, no hesitation or anything. I still need to pull the plug and drain the oil to see what it looks like. Besides the oil being a little thinner that I would expect, there are no signs that the engine is hurt. I guess my question is, should I be worried? Does the coolant splash out like it does on other Yamaha models?

Any advice would be great. I do plan on bringing it in for service, but it was new, so I started to tear it down a bit to see if I could get used to it. Thanks for any help.

If the previous owner had an ice dam issue on the front cooler and shut it down, it will have boiled over and lost the coolant. Happened to me on an o9 rtx that was converted to xtx/mtx in 2’ of powder on the 1st long run of the day 15 miles from everywhere.

And as far as the thin oil, it is a 0w weight oil so it is thinner by nature. Age may be playing into it too if it hasn't been changed in the past 10 years.

Check that any updates or recalls were done for this model year.

Back