• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine oil leak

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2010 RS Vector LTX GT
Ok 2010 Rs vector ltx gt
Oil reservoir was empty so engine couldn’t start but added oil in reservoir to the right level then engine starts ok until warm then leak starts from inner under belly. Any idea why is that?

I'm not sure about how the Vector is built but on a RXI if you hit something under the oil pan without a skidplate it can pound one of the posts . that are built into the lower crankcase to hold the engine when it's out on a bench , into the oil sump and leak out the oil. There is a drain plug underneath and a hose to the crankcase also . I would start there and make sure the oil filter is tight too.

Ken.......

i will move this to the right section for the rs.

as it is a vector, odds are you need to remove the plate and replace the oil filter. they have been known to blow out the filter o ring in cold temps like we have been having.

i started the engine again cold and it runs fine until the engine warms up then it start to sputter and back fires when i apply the throttle and oil starts to leak again when engine warms up. it sounds like as if its running on two cylinders when engine warms up. i retighten the oil filter but im not sure if the filter is faulty now for the leak because i cannot see under the belly to see where the leak is coming from. i will try to replace the spark plugs tomorrow but im running out of ideas as what is wrong with the vector.

I would jack that sled up in the air and put some blocks under the skis and then pull the bottom cover and look underneath to see where the oil is coming from. If you have a skidplate that has to come off first.

Ken...........

does it knock when running?

No it doesn’t seem to be knocking but it sputtering I think one of the spark plugs need to be replaced.

I found out when I didn't put air box on when starting sled for first time in 2-3 years The breather tube that comes from side of case unto bottom of air box is pumping oil out like crazy? Any thoughts why? No pinched lines? Oil not over filled?
2007 Vector ER

I found out when I didn't put air box on when starting sled for first time in 2-3 years The breather tube that comes from side of case unto bottom of air box is pumping oil out like crazy? Any thoughts why? No pinched lines? Oil not over filled?
2007 Vector ER
did you ever figure out why yours was puking oil, mine is doing the same thing? Seem to have excessive crank case pressure

oil might be overfilled and the sputtering is likely a fouled plug.

After getting a compression tester that fit the vector plug hole, I found 1 to have only 60psi. I spent two days with GM top engine cleaner and PB blaster small engine tune up and got the rigs free and now its working as it should. Rings were frozen from sitting. The motor sat on a shelf for probably 10 years with no lubricant in cylinders I bet. The guy I bought it from was convinced it was a head gasket and I stole this thing under that pretense. Working a few other small gremlins now before it hits the snow this weekend

Back