• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine Oil leaking

Fortress

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2004 RX1
I have big puddles of oil under my 2004 rx1, I have a few small leaks on motor I have to fix, like a 1/8 long crack on gasket ledge that I'm gunna JB weld but it's few inches up on motor,what happens is all oil from reservoir drains into motor then leaks out of motor onto ground,isn't there supposed to be a holding valve in reservoir? Anybody know where it's located?

The only thing that holds the oil back is the high pressure oil pump as far as I can figure! It feeds the bearings and such. The pump shaft has seals to stop pressure leaks. There is a check ball in the pump when looking at the fiche that seems to be fed by the output of the oil rotor, its design seems to be once pressure is fed to it, it opens and allows oil to be fed to the bearings and engine internals. When motor is shut off the oil pressure drops and the spring pushes the check ball back into the seat. This would make sense in a dry sump system to prevent the sump from filling when the motor is off! If the check-ball is not working that could be the leak! Oil would slowly make its way past all the bearings and drip out into the sump! I have never had an oil pump apart so without looking at one to trace the workings I'm not 100% sure but I would guess its that!

The only thing that holds the oil back is the high pressure oil pump as far as I can figure! It feeds the bearings and such. The pump shaft has seals to stop pressure leaks. There is a check ball in the pump when looking at the fiche that seems to be fed by the output of the oil rotor, its design seems to be once pressure is fed to it, it opens and allows oil to be fed to the bearings and engine internals. When motor is shut off the oil pressure drops and the spring pushes the check ball back into the seat. This would make sense in a dry sump system to prevent the sump from filling when the motor is off! If the check-ball is not working that could be the leak! Oil would slowly make its way past all the bearings and drip out into the sump! I have never had an oil pump apart so without looking at one to trace the workings I'm not 100% sure but I would guess its that!
Sorry I never seen this great reply! I worked hard at it and fixed all the leaks! I'll never run without a skid plate ever again.that was the start of my major leaks after I hit a rock.when I put new oil pan on,I didn't get gasket seated quite right, also all oil breather tubes had to be re glued back to motor( bad factory glue?)previous owner wrecked oil filter threads on motor so oil filter was wrenched on and had small hole on oil filter.....thankfully there wasn't a crack on motor like I thought,I'm pretty sure this might stop reservoir from filling motor when sitting ,we actually have snow and going out this weekend

Back