• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine Swap - From 06 RS Vector into 05 RS Venture

HatchetJack

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2005 Yamaha RS Venture
Hello Yamaha 4 Stroke Engine guru's,
My 05 RS Venture 973cc engine threw a rod (about 11000kms) and I'm swapping in an engine from a 06 Rs Vector (about 10000 kms). I bought the Vector complete as a running/trail ready machine at the end of last season but I'm parting it out for the engine and any other better parts I can, to put into the Venture.

I have some parts left from my 05 blown engine. Already swapped the starters since the one from the blown up engine felt and looked better.

I have the engine on the skid in my garage, is there anything I should check over before I pop it in my RS Venture chassis? Anything a DIY weekend warrior could handle to improve reliability/preventative maintenance and performance?

thanks!

while it is apart, make sure the carbs are clean and i would change the filters in the tank as well.

Hello Yamaha 4 Stroke Engine guru's,
My 05 RS Venture 973cc engine threw a rod (about 11000kms) and I'm swapping in an engine from a 06 Rs Vector (about 10000 kms). I bought the Vector complete as a running/trail ready machine at the end of last season but I'm parting it out for the engine and any other better parts I can, to put into the Venture.

I have some parts left from my 05 blown engine. Already swapped the starters since the one from the blown up engine felt and looked better.

I have the engine on the skid in my garage, is there anything I should check over before I pop it in my RS Venture chassis? Anything a DIY weekend warrior could handle to improve reliability/preventative maintenance and performance?

thanks!

Dive in and have fun with it. Should be an easy swap.

btw how much do you need for the vector chassis as a roller? got an rx engine that needs a better home.

It's been a fun little project so far. Looking forward to getting that engine in the venture this weekend. fingers crossed that it will fire right up.
MAIM - The plan was to part out the vector to recoup the cost of replacing my blown up engine. I have the vector all torn apart, so I'm not sure what you consider a rolling chassis. I have removed the skid and already sold the track. The handlebars, seat and windshield are sold too. I was going to keep the clutches/voltage regulator/starter for now. The tunnel w/ heat exchangers and front suspension and skis are what I have sitting as a 'rolling' chassis at the moment if you are interested in that. I have everything else to build it back up , other than the sold items. Let me know. I'm located near Woodstock, ON which is a bit of a hike from you.

ok. a bit much missing for what i want/need. the rx i have the only thing that is good is the motor components/wiring. track, tunnel, bulkhead, front suspension, rear suspension, bars, hood, steering post/hoop and all the coolers are toast. thanks though.

Make sure you have the updated cam tensioner before you install.

pdiddy - I just saw your comment now :( What's the updated cam tensioner? I will have to look it up.

I got the Vector engine installed into the Venture. Just need to change the fluids and a few more connections to go. Think I might paint the windshield.

Wish I noticed this earlier (maybe BEFORE I INSTALLED THE ENGINE) but I realized my Secondary shaft/jackshaft bearing is cracked on the secondary side. Will need to get the bearing changed out and I heard it can be a PITA! I have a replacement from last year when I changed all the other bearings, including the chaincase ones. Anyone have any good ideas to remove the bearing without opening the chaincase?

The swapped engine runs and purrs nice. I researched into the cam tensioner update and mine has the orange dot. It's not making any 'chainy' type noise so I think I'm okay for now. I'll have to do the update later.

Now I need to crack the chaincase again, and replace the Jackshaft bearing. That should be fun. Luckily I work at a weld shop, so I should be able to make up a tool to get on that dang nut.

Back