• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Erratic idle issue

ymhajoe

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 PHAZER RTX,2000 SXR 700, 2003 VIPER MTN
I have a 2011 rtx with 6000 miles on it. When I start it up it does not go to high idle and warm up like it use to do. It goes up then drops down then goes back up then goes down to 1200 and acts like it is going to die. I changed the plugs (they looked fine) and tested the ignition coils and they tested good. At the end of last season it would only idle about 1200-1300 rpm most of the time and has been that way most of this season until now. It runs just fine at speed and will go 75-80 mph as usual but when you come to stop the throttle needs to be feathered to keep it running. No codes are flashing but if you let it sit and idle it will eventually die. Any ideas ?

Maybe idle needs to be adjusted if when warmed up it idles at 1200. Should be between 1700-1900. Probably affects cold high idle speed too.

if the idle adjustment doesn't do it I would check throttle freeplay and throttle position sensor.

I have already adjusted the throttle free play, that didn't help. How do you adjust the idle and check the throttle position sensor? I will have time to do it tomorrow night.

Took it out for a ride tonite.When I started it up it fired right up and ran at 2600-2700 rpm for about 5 minutes then went down and idled like normal at 1700 rpm. took off and rode it about 10 miles and every time I stopped it would run about 1500 rpm at idle . Then I took it home and let it idle and it ran at about 1000 to 1200 rpm for about 2 minutes until it died. When I started it up it ran rough and had to feather the throttle to keep it running. let it sit outside for 4 hours and fired it up again and it ran at about 2600-2700 rpm for about 5 minutes but sounded like it was missing. When it came off of high idle it went right down to 1000-1400 rpm back and forth for about 3 minutes until it died. It never shown any code this whole time. I know the gas is good because I filled up a 2 stroke sxr 700 at the same time and that runs fine.

I'd adjust it when it's hot, not just warm. Do you let it idle until the fan comes on? How is the idle when hot?

I have had it idle slow like that occasionally especially after a long hard run but it would usually come back to a normal idle eventually without stalling.

Fired it up tonite and let it warm up, ran at 2600 rpm for 5 minutes then dropped down to 1700 for about 1 minute. then it dropped down to 1200 and ran for about 2 minutes then died. I started it up and had to run the throttle to keep it going and ran until the fan turned on. Then I let it run and it stayed running at 1000-1200 erratically. I turned the idle screw in one full turned it went up to 1300 so I turned it in 1 more full turn and it didn't seem to change much so I turned it in some more and it would only go 1/2 more and seemed to make it run 1400. took it for a ride for 5 minutes and stopped to let it idle and it bounced back and forth from 1300-1500. still doesn't seem like it runs right at idle but seems to run just fine at speed. 2 1/2 turns seems like a lot to adjust the idle . That doesn't seem right me. Has anyone adjusted their idle? How sensitive is the screw? No codes flashed at all.

It's pretty sensitive. Doesn't take that much to adjust it a couple 100 RPM.

Did you check for vacuum leaks? Almost sounds like it.

Even though you tested the coils, one may still be bad as your symptoms are exactly as what mine were when one coil was failing however I did get a code 33. Coils can fail without giving a code. I tried to adjust the idle on the trail just to get home and it made no difference. You could try replacing one coil and if no change, swap it to the other one. Stay away from aftermarket coils as some have had problems with them. Either get an OEM or a known good coil from a running sled.

Thanks for the reply Mooseman. I went to start it up last nite and as soon as I turned the key it flashed code 13. Gonna have to do some looking for a vacuum leak this weekend.

Could also be wiring or it's unplugged. Did that once after an oil change and it idled like crap.

Finally found the problem! The 3 wire plug on the LH pressure sensor had a broke middle wire right at the point where it goes into the plug (hard to see).Unfortunately it is too short to fix. I ended up taking a plug off of a set of viper carbs and wired that in. Fired up and ran like normal. Thanks Again Mooseman.

Back