• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Error Code 88 - Open circuit in reverse indicator switch

PattyJack

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer GT
Hello everyone!, I've been a member for many years, but haven't ridden the sled in a few years. I have since come back to the sport and started riding my Phazer again, I missed this thing! I am the original owner from 2007!

Anyway, a few weeks back I got the dreaded fault code 88 which indicates a short circuit in the reverse indicator switch. After reading older threads about this issue, I went ahead and tore the sled down to inspect for any melted wiring but couldn't find anything. I went ahead and ordered and installed a new reverse indicator switch. Other posters noted that they resolved the issue by splicing in a new wire from the ECU harness plug all the way to the reverse indicator switch (white/red wire). So I went ahead and spliced a new wire in to bypass any possible shorts that may be in this wire along the harness. This would surly fix the issue right? Nope! With the sled back together and on the trails this weekend, the check engine light came back on again about 20 minutes into the ride with the same fault code, 88 along with reverse beeper. The wiring diagram shows that its a straight path from the ECU harness all the way to the reverse indicator switch, so I am at a loss as to what it might be. Anyone else have this issue and resolved it in another way? I am going to inspect the ECU harness plug pins for any corrosion a little bit closer to see if that might be the issue, other than that I may be looking at replacing the ECU and or spedo unit? I'm stumped!:dunno:

Thanks!

The switch is not a really a switch but basically just a contact to ground when it's touched by the shift fork. Did you try just disconnecting it to see if it at least stops the error? If it does, I would suspect a problem inside your reverse gear box where the shift fork is continuously making contact with the switch. If you remove the shift motor, does the fork inside move freely?

These threads may prove useful in checking the reverse gear box:

The switch is not a really a switch but basically just a contact to ground when it's touched by the shift fork. Did you try just disconnecting it to see if it at least stops the error? If it does, I would suspect a problem inside your reverse gear box where the shift fork is continuously making contact with the switch. If you remove the shift motor, does the fork inside move freely?

These threads may prove useful in checking the reverse gear box:

Thanks for the reply!

Yes you're right, it's not really a switch at all. When tested with a multimeter, both switch and wire tested fine. The funny thing is, It seems like the problem shows itself only when the sled comes up to temp. So a few minutes down the trail once heat gets through the sled, the light comes on. If I let it sit and cool down for a few hours, the error goes away.

I am going to take a look at the reverse gear box as suggested and see if there is anything questionable to be seen there. It's tough to disconnect the sensor to see if it goes away due to the difficult location that the switch is in, I could however break the new splice down at the ECU plug. The fact that it only shows itself when the sled is hot, makes me wonder if theres a grounding issue somewhere related to the reverse gear box. You may be on to something.

Back