• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

error codes?

YamiRage07

Veteran
Went out for a ride today and got going down the road and my speedometer wasnt working and i thought no big deal then it kinda started working but was just jumping around everywhere wasnt accurate at all then i got a diagnostic light on then it started flashing the light and number 42 then shortly later it started flashing 84 while still flashing 42. wondering if i could get some input. thanks David.

42 is speed sensor short circuit
84 is TORS

For 42 check speed sensor behind secondary clutch, and the sensor wiring, also the driveshaft bearing on the same side.

For 84 start by checking throttle cable freeplay and your TPS

Diagnostic code 42 indicates a bad or loose electrical connection to the speed sensor coupler or ECU coupler. It could also be a defective speed sensor or broken speed sensor target.
Diagnosic code 84 also indicates a problem with the speed sensor, throttle position sensor, throttle over-ride switch or ECU malfunction
To check for defective sensor put your meter in diagnostic mode and scroll to parameter d:07.
Spin your track at low speed (10 to 15 mph) and see if any pulses are counted on the meter. Once the pulse count reaches 999 the count starts over from zero. If the meter is incrementing the pulse count as the track is spinning the sensor is working. If the meter display is not incrementing, the sensor is not working. Make sure the electrical connections are secure.
To get into diagnostic mode:
1) Turn off the main switch, set the e-stop switch to run.
2) Simultaneously press and hold "select" and "reset" buttons, turn the main switch on, and continue to hold the buttons for 8 seconds or more.
3) all the displays on the LCDs disappear except the clock display. "d1" appears on the clock display.
4) Simultaneously press and hold "select" and "reset" buttons for 2 more seconds
5) To increase the diagnostic code parameter press "select" for 1 second. To decrease the diagnostic code parameter press "reset".

thank you for the responses just was wanting to make sure the numbers werent meaning something expensive i was going to have to put into the motor.

Definitely check your bearings. I lost my driveshaft bearing (speedometer side) last year, and that code 42 was the first sign. Bearing was toast and the sensor was rubbing on the little gear. Never felt any vibration. That was 70 miles into a 3 day weekend of riding to end the season!

I did all of the bearings at the same time. I think that all together they were around $100, and it took me an afternoon. I had 8000 miles on the original bearings at the time, so I figured I was due.

Back