• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EVO Flash & Hurricane Turbo

Hello All,

With respect to our Turbo High Compression and Turbo Low Compression reflashes - We spent much time with MPI 3 or 4 years ago helping them make their kits better through tuning the OEM Mitsubishi ECU. What we found is a modest timing retard (stock compression) does not loose more than 2 horsepower at 7 lbs of boost and gives a wider margin against detonation. This allowed us to increase the boost pressure by 2 lbs on the same octane fuel. In order to run the 2 lbs more boost, fuel needs to be added with whatever piggyback system the turbo kit uses. For MPI, it was a Gems controller. To further clarify - you MUST add fuel for the additional 2 lbs. When all was said and done, the extra 2 lbs of boost netted net another 15 hp, or 13 over the original 7 lbs with stock timing. These are the same results we found on the Viper.

With respect to the fuel pump - customers should consult with their turbo kit manufacturer to make sure the fuel system is capable of running additional boost.

With respect to the hot start issue - all we are doing is incorporating the 14 start up programming into the 15 and 16 programs. This MAY help your hot start. We don't have to do this, but it is an option. We are also incorporating the 14 oil shutdown timing as well. This may not be a big deal for Eastern and Midwestern customers, but it is huge for mountain guys.

Lastly, in our opinion - the raised rev limit is the best thing that can be done to this sled. The issue has always been for both Nytro and Viper turbo guys - it is a VERY fine line between being clutched too heavy to keep the engine off the rev limit and have a doggy bottom end and being too light which makes the sled responsive, but hit the rev limit at initial shift. This is more prevalent on sleds used in the mountains due to the effects of elevation on turbo spool and varying power depending upon conditions and track spin.

Hey Tator ...just a little off topic but was just wondering what you get for fuel millage per tank with Dave's kit ? I had Dave set up my 2016 Viper and was trying to get some insight on fuel millage. I do more trail ridding than anything . Thanks

Hey Tator ...just a little off topic but was just wondering what you get for fuel millage per tank with Dave's kit ? I had Dave set up my 2016 Viper and was trying to get some insight on fuel millage. I do more trail ridding than anything . Thanks

depends on how much "fun" your having usually 12-16 mpg

With 21-41 gears I always get 13-14 and can get 16+ if I want to.

EVO turbo rockin the turbo flash...

rpm.jpg

Hello All,

With respect to our Turbo High Compression and Turbo Low Compression reflashes - We spent much time with MPI 3 or 4 years ago helping them make their kits better through tuning the OEM Mitsubishi ECU. What we found is a modest timing retard (stock compression) does not loose more than 2 horsepower at 7 lbs of boost and gives a wider margin against detonation. This allowed us to increase the boost pressure by 2 lbs on the same octane fuel. In order to run the 2 lbs more boost, fuel needs to be added with whatever piggyback system the turbo kit uses. For MPI, it was a Gems controller. To further clarify - you MUST add fuel for the additional 2 lbs. When all was said and done, the extra 2 lbs of boost netted net another 15 hp, or 13 over the original 7 lbs with stock timing. These are the same results we found on the Viper.

With respect to the fuel pump - customers should consult with their turbo kit manufacturer to make sure the fuel system is capable of running additional boost.

With respect to the hot start issue - all we are doing is incorporating the 14 start up programming into the 15 and 16 programs. This MAY help your hot start. We don't have to do this, but it is an option. We are also incorporating the 14 oil shutdown timing as well. This may not be a big deal for Eastern and Midwestern customers, but it is huge for mountain guys.

Lastly, in our opinion - the raised rev limit is the best thing that can be done to this sled. The issue has always been for both Nytro and Viper turbo guys - it is a VERY fine line between being clutched too heavy to keep the engine off the rev limit and have a doggy bottom end and being too light which makes the sled responsive, but hit the rev limit at initial shift. This is more prevalent on sleds used in the mountains due to the effects of elevation on turbo spool and varying power depending upon conditions and track spin.

So I under stand this correctly, on a Stage 1 turbo set up, you are removing a modest/2-3 degrees of timing and adding 2lbs of boost, and adding fuel on the same level of fuel octane?

Correct, you will use the same octane as before. Also very important that your fuel system be able to handle the increase in fuel demand your tuning box will require with the added boost.

Last edited:
Guy's, I've been asked about the Evolution reflash many times. Here are my thoughts. We had a viper on the dyno the other day equipped with the hurricane 190 kit. The peak hp was 8700 rpm@193hp with the tune that comes in all the pcv's supplied with the 190 kit.i don't see the hp benefits of turning up the rev limiter with the stock header. We have also dynoed the Evolution header, boosted and the peak hp was around 9400rpm. I see a reflash is a benefit with that header. My concern about running the engine over the rev limiter with the current PCv map is that the engine efficiency will change above the stock rev limit affecting the PCv tune. I suspect that the PCv tune will go rich as the engine efficiency seems to go down over 8700 with stock header but it's untested with the hurricane 190 kit over 9200 rpm. I absolutely do not believe in retarding the timing in order to be able to turn up the boost on pump gas. I believe that the pump gas burns to violently and the stock head bolts won't like the extra cylinder pressure.i don't mean to sound so negative and I certain can appreciate the starting and idle benefits. It's my job to build a bullit proof turbo kit that makes good, advertised power.the hurricane turbo kits have been very successful and it's hard to make to many changes in tunes and boost levels, etc to add risk of engine failure. The day may come when I get the opportunity to do some testing to change my view. I would certainly talk about my view at the time if that happens.
Dave

Hey Dave did you ever test this reflash from evo on your 190 turbo kit?

Dave or anybody else try the evo flash with the hurricane 190 kit?

Just a question but I thought the efficiency of cvt clutches dropped off beyond 9000rpm could anyone informed let me know?

Just a question but I thought the efficiency of cvt clutches dropped off beyond 9000rpm could anyone informed let me know?

That may well be, I just know my EVO rocks above 9k. The trade off for CVT loss vs the added 10hp to me is worth it.

Guy's, I've been asked about the Evolution reflash many times. Here are my thoughts. We had a viper on the dyno the other day equipped with the hurricane 190 kit. The peak hp was 8700 rpm@193hp with the tune that comes in all the pcv's supplied with the 190 kit.i don't see the hp benefits of turning up the rev limiter with the stock header. We have also dynoed the Evolution header, boosted and the peak hp was around 9400rpm. I see a reflash is a benefit with that header. My concern about running the engine over the rev limiter with the current PCv map is that the engine efficiency will change above the stock rev limit affecting the PCv tune. I suspect that the PCv tune will go rich as the engine efficiency seems to go down over 8700 with stock header but it's untested with the hurricane 190 kit over 9200 rpm. I absolutely do not believe in retarding the timing in order to be able to turn up the boost on pump gas. I believe that the pump gas burns to violently and the stock head bolts won't like the extra cylinder pressure.i don't mean to sound so negative and I certain can appreciate the starting and idle benefits. It's my job to build a bullit proof turbo kit that makes good, advertised power.the hurricane turbo kits have been very successful and it's hard to make to many changes in tunes and boost levels, etc to add risk of engine failure. The day may come when I get the opportunity to do some testing to change my view. I would certainly talk about my view at the time if that happens.
Dave

Dave
Just wondering if you have had a chance to dyno your 190 turbo with the EVO stage 4 flash with MBRP header ?
I know you have been busy with Winder and the BRP 4 stroke but sure love my 190 Sr Viper. Thanks Bruce

Back