• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exact specifications

I heard the Viper is quite a bit lighter than a stock Nytro and has more HP. But, that was a week ago and so far I've not seen any official specs on weight or HP.

If the Viper is within 3 lbs of an 1100 that would make it heavier than a Nytro RTX. As I recall the 1100 is around 520 lbs dry.

I hate to admit that I'm not as stoked on the Viper as I was during the release. That week I was very, very excited about the Viper! Now that the excitement has worn off and I'm reading posts from regular guys doing test rides and not claiming it is flat out amazing, well..... I'm not running out to snowcheck one like I originally planned. Official weight specs would be nice. I've got to know those before I put down a deposit.

Asked the rep about weight when I was done with test ride. He said it will be about 500 lbs dry & with the larger gas tank the wet weight looks to be similar to the nytro's. He also said they originally tried them with cat clutches and the belts were only lasting 80 miles so they switched to Yamaha clutches. They run a new longer Yamaha belt as well.

AKrider said:
I heard the Viper is quite a bit lighter than a stock Nytro and has more HP. But, that was a week ago and so far I've not seen any official specs on weight or HP.

If the Viper is within 3 lbs of an 1100 that would make it heavier than a Nytro RTX. As I recall the 1100 is around 520 lbs dry.

I hate to admit that I'm not as stoked on the Viper as I was during the release. That week I was very, very excited about the Viper! Now that the excitement has worn off and I'm reading posts from regular guys doing test rides and not claiming it is flat out amazing, well..... I'm not running out to snowcheck one like I originally planned. Official weight specs would be nice. I've got to know those before I put down a deposit.

Pretty much my feelings also

Well I thought it was amazing...it was flat in corners with very little rider input.....took the bumps very well....could not get the inside ski to lift....suspension work awesome....there isn't really much to do out of box but studs and different carbides......coming off a nytro this thing is amazing...the rep told me that it was 30ibs lighter than the nytro......and you could really tell....it was so light feeling.....and the seating was very comfortable you could go from setting to standing very easy too......
What's not to like the hand grips work and it comes with a 10.6 gal. Tank ;)!

If the sled is 30 lbs lighter (dry) than a base Nytro that will put it at 490 lbs. Figure 20 lbs for for engine oil, coolant, shock and chain case oil plus 60 lbs for gas at 6 lbs per gallon and it would be around 570 lbs wet weight. That's doing pretty good for a 4-stroke so I'm wondering why they don't release an official weight number?

For comparisons sake, since I'm currently pretty interested in the base model Indy 600, the Indy is roughly 34 lbs lighter. It is 447 dry, add 20 lbs for all the fluids then 69 lbs for gas (11.5 gallon tank) and its 536 lbs wet weight. If my rough estimates are close to accurate, Yamaha is doing really good! When the the Deltabox Vector came out they were within 60+ lbs of a 600 2-stroke. Then the 2-strokes got lighter. The Nytro was about 60 lbs heavier than a 2008 era 2-stroke.

The Viper has potential. I'm guessing that 34 lbs is all on the nose of the sled because my buddy's 1100T pro-climbs all feel much heavier in front than my RMK. The pro-climbs hide their weight much better than the Yamaha's but still feel heavy compared to a 2-stroke.

I wish the Viper wasn't so expensive. A base model Indy 600 is $8000. Add a $1,600 set of Walker Evan's shocks which are higher performance than the shocks any of the Vipers come with and you've got a 600 class sled for $9,600 or $2,550 less than a Viper. So far, I've not heard about any demo rides in AK for the Viper but will ride one if I get a chance. Still plenty of winter to go here in AK.

Back