• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Excessive body roll and heavy steering?

mrance111 said:
Welter, how well do you think a 12mm bar would work?

i ran a 12mm last year and it was better than stock, but not the improvement i was looking for. this year ill pull the limiters up 1 hole and put a 13mm bar on. if i dont like the 13mm then ill sell it. eventually im going to find some stiffer springs for the front, get the shocks revalved a little stiffer and get it to handle like i really want. :Rockon:

Brian, I don't know why you're so against adjusting the limiter strap.

Everyone I know who has tried it (including myself) found a great improvement in inside ski lift without hurting other areas of performance much.

Let's say your sled has a little too much inside ski lift for your liking, especially when accelerating out of a corner (I know you're happy with your sleds performance, just imagine you or someone your helping to set their sled up wanted less inside ski lift).

If you reduce the weight transfer setting alone enough to keep the inside ski on the ground while accelerating hard out of a corner (leaning very far to the inside at the same time of course) the weight transfer has to be set to minimum (or extremely close to minimum). With this setup the small bump ride quality goes down hill big time and there is literally no weight transfer so straight line acceleration from a stop also goes down big time.

Instead if you reduce the weight transfer to something like 3/8 tick marks (on the tool) and reduce the limiter strap length by one hole you find you get almost the same inside ski lift improvement at speed and can accelerate hard when exiting a corner. In addition the ride will still be very smooth in all conditions and there is still reasonable weight transfer off the line.

FYI, when I want to go fast, my riding style is to come into a corner very fast (still accelerating), quickly transition to threshold braking as late as possible, initiate the corner while starting to ease off on the brake, take a late apex, smoothly transition from brake to rolling the power on mid turn, and as the corner starts to straighten out transition to full throttle while still cornering and maintain the full throttle out of the corner and down the straight. Depending on the corner speed, changes in elevation and how much speed I was able to carry into the corner I might be at full throttle 1/2 way through the turn.

I try to keep the sled at the limit of traction (slightly drifting) through the entire corner, everywhere from braking to cornering to accelerating.

With my sled's setup I do all of the above and can still lift the skis off the ground when launching on a straight away (if I put my weight back on the seat a little).

I do totally agree with you on the benefits of the 13mm sway bar and I believe a stiffer sway bar is even more important with Fox floats. I ran the 13mm bar last season and it makes a huge improvement in handling and complements all of the other adjustments. It does however substantially increase the ride harshness on side to side bumps (one ski hitting a bump) so it too is a compromise.

SledFreak said:
How did you get your buddies to go the same level as you with the coils? Buy new springs?

nope, stock springs..... just lower them down pretty much to bottom of adjustments....which made the A arms about level or just under...

Dan

Did he bottom out much or did you just crank up the compression and rebound on it.

machzed said:
SledFreak said:
How did you get your buddies to go the same level as you with the coils? Buy new springs?

nope, stock springs..... just lower them down pretty much to bottom of adjustments....which made the A arms about level or just under...

Dan

I attempted to losten the front springs on my Attak GT as there was little to no sag when sitting on the sled. I was only able to drop it about 1/2 inch without loostening too much. I adjusted the springs with the weight off of them and took it as far as I could without the spring retainers ratteling around. I was left with A-arms still above horizontal.

Dan, Have your buddies watch their spring retainers closely. When the front end extends it is likely that the retainers will fall away from the springs. [/u]

ReX said:
Brian, I don't know why you're so against adjusting the limiter strap.

Everyone I know who has tried it (including myself) found a great improvement in inside ski lift without hurting other areas of performance much.

Let's say your sled has a little too much inside ski lift for your liking, especially when accelerating out of a corner (I know you're happy with your sleds performance, just imagine you or someone your helping to set their sled up wanted less inside ski lift).

If you reduce the weight transfer setting alone enough to keep the inside ski on the ground while accelerating hard out of a corner (leaning very far to the inside at the same time of course) the weight transfer has to be set to minimum (or extremely close to minimum). With this setup the small bump ride quality goes down hill big time and there is literally no weight transfer so straight line acceleration from a stop also goes down big time.

Instead if you reduce the weight transfer to something like 3/8 tick marks (on the tool) and reduce the limiter strap length by one hole you find you get almost the same inside ski lift improvement at speed and can accelerate hard when exiting a corner. In addition the ride will still be very smooth in all conditions and there is still reasonable weight transfer off the line.

FYI, when I want to go fast, my riding style is to come into a corner very fast (still accelerating), quickly transition to threshold braking as late as possible, initiate the corner while starting to ease off on the brake, take a late apex, smoothly transition from brake to rolling the power on mid turn, and as the corner starts to straighten out transition to full throttle while still cornering and maintain the full throttle out of the corner and down the straight. Depending on the corner speed, changes in elevation and how much speed I was able to carry into the corner I might be at full throttle 1/2 way through the turn.

I try to keep the sled at the limit of traction (slightly drifting) through the entire corner, everywhere from braking to cornering to accelerating.

With my sled's setup I do all of the above and can still lift the skis off the ground when launching on a straight away (if I put my weight back on the seat a little).

I do totally agree with you on the benefits of the 13mm sway bar and I believe a stiffer sway bar is even more important with Fox floats. I ran the 13mm bar last season and it makes a huge improvement in handling and complements all of the other adjustments. It does however substantially increase the ride harshness on side to side bumps (one ski hitting a bump) so it too is a compromise.

All while maintaining the legal speed limit in Ontario OFSC trails of 50km/h ;)!

Good bit of info in this thread, might need to come back to some of this if the Attak has a bad case of inside ski lift. Need some freakin snow first however!!

SledFreak said:
Did he bottom out much or did you just crank up the compression and rebound on it.

YUP....just turned up compression to make them feel close to my rtx when pushing down on bumper...and we got it close to mine...

I still feel the floats are all around better handling for flat AND bumps....

I cant say for sure exactly how his rails as I dont really ride his...

Dan

Soldier'spapa said:
machzed said:
SledFreak said:

Dan

I attempted to losten the front springs on my Attak GT as there was little to no sag when sitting on the sled. I was only able to drop it about 1/2 inch without loostening too much. I adjusted the springs with the weight off of them and took it as far as I could without the spring retainers ratteling around. I was left with A-arms still above horizontal.

Dan, Have your buddies watch their spring retainers closely. When the front end extends it is likely that the retainers will fall away from the springs. [/u]

sure if you take weight off front they become loose,so i guess if your launchin it alot you might not want to go too low...obviously!.lol.

once we get up north I can post more about how many threads his is showing ect....

might be awhile by the looks of long range..man its mild!

Dan

dan what did you find on your freinds GT ,does he like that setup still?
and did you adjust his limiter strap a notch
gary~

Back