1. We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.
    Dismiss Notice

Exchanger coolant leak fixed - Fuel tank,Battery removal

Discussion in 'SideWinder Trail Talk' started by ROCKERDAN, Dec 23, 2017.

1. ROCKERDAN

ROCKERDAN OCD Sledhead VIP Member

Other
    Snowmobile:
    '18 RTX 50th "Winder"
    Anyone with a coolant leak on right side(MAG) under front of track, that drips down the right side driver this thread will show the fix.

If you have coolant leaking under your sled that is rearward of engine compartment, around the front of track on right side this is what you need to do.

1. Take it back to dealer for warranty.

OR

2. Work on it yourself if your OCD and dont want some kid tearing into your brand new sled. I guess you guys know which I choose.LOL

Very odd design......there is a connecting rubber hose only about 2 inches long, with 2 hose clamps. This small hose connects the long alum heat exchanger tube, (which runs above the track clips-right side) from the rear exchanger to the front exchanger. Its able to be seen if you get sled up on a lift, and look way up in front of track.

My sled was built way back in July. So it sat in crate Im guessing most of late summer. It then got delivered to me around October I believe it was, and I had it in my shop at home for more time. Never once did it leak coolant. So recently it got very cold up here(still had never rode the sled yet) and I then found a puddle of coolant under the right side of sled near front of track, traced the drips coming down through track clip, down right side driver, thru lower track clip, down to trailer floor.

Not many other places it can be leaking except this hose.....The crappy part is, how they designed this. This small hose is right at extreme top of tunnel, and so the top part of the hose actually is above the tunnel surface. There is a cutout in the tunnel, and they silicone all around the hose to seal off tunnel. The screws on the hose clamps are on TOP of the tunnel, facing the left side of sled under the header. So to tighten the two clamps, I had to remove the fuel tank and header shroud.....lots of work just to tighten them.

Just wanted to post up some pics as its not hard, but just takes time removing everything. Just like all my clamps on my sled, these were barely tight. And so when it got cold, the alum shrinks just enough, that the clamps leaked coolant. Not badly, and would likely seal up when heated up/running sled...But I had to do it, and sure enough they were barely tight and glad I did it now.

Dan

IMG_0425.JPG IMG_0428.JPG IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0436.JPG IMG_0437.JPG IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0445.JPG IMG_0448.JPG IMG_0449.JPG IMG_0450.JPG IMG_0451.JPG IMG_0454.JPG IMG_0457.JPG IMG_0461.JPG

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    marc001 and bobmnh like this.
  2. Google AdSense Advertisement

3. ROCKERDAN

Other
    Snowmobile:
    '18 RTX 50th "Winder"
    Now down to the header shroud....must remove the V-Clamp from header to pipe. This will allow you to slide upward the header shroud and out of the way, so you can get at the clamps.

There is heat foil over top of this hose, which is important as the header glows. I used a hair blower to heat up the glue on it and removed it. It loses its stickem abit, so when reinstalling I clamped it in with the bolt for shroud.

Dan

IMG_0463.JPG IMG_0464.JPG IMG_0466.JPG IMG_0469.JPG IMG_0471.JPG IMG_0472.JPG IMG_0474.JPG IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0480.JPG IMG_0481.JPG IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0485.JPG IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0491.JPG IMG_0493.JPG IMG_0495.JPG IMG_0497.JPG

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  4. ROCKERDAN

Other
    Snowmobile:
    '18 RTX 50th "Winder"
    I have to say.....the new iPhone X sure blows away my old one with its incredible camera. And these have been shrunk down 80% from original resolution to fit them onto this site, and they still look great..lol

Dan

Blueaway likes this.
  5. XP123

XP123 TY 4 Stroke Master

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Sidewinder XTX LE 137
    Who would have thought those clamps would be under the header! Wow good job Dan. I think I will leave my alone till next year.

6. ROCKERDAN

Other
    Snowmobile:
    '18 RTX 50th "Winder"
    I still cannot believe this design eh? I guess maybe they needed the room underneath for deeper lug tracks ect?

I figured they must have foil over it, since its so darn close to header....

I will add that with the new lift, working on the sled was a pleasure...no sore back at end of day anymore, nice working on it at perfect height! A

And, compared to the DOO, removing this tank and pyramid frame members is a breeze....It was way more work when I only had to slide rearward my tank on my 4tec to remove ECU and sell it, what a pain that was. This sled is quite easy to work on for sure. Nice when its brand spanking new too...lol

Dan

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Hammer70 likes this.
  7. ROCKERDAN

Other
    Snowmobile:
    '18 RTX 50th "Winder"
    Here is the pic we originally looked at.....off fiche.

And some pics from below when I was first trying to see where it was coming from.

Dan

cooler clamps.jpg IMG_0279.jpg close up.jpg IMG_0353.jpg IMG_0353-2.jpg IMG_0353-2c.jpg IMG_0354.jpg

Pstn head likes this.
  8. XP123

XP123 TY 4 Stroke Master

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Sidewinder XTX LE 137
    I'm going to keep an eye on mine Dan but I haven't seen any coolant since last year. I was afraid it would be under the header but I was hoping you would tell me it wasn't and the fix would be easy. Oh well it doesn't look like a difficult job it's just that I don't feel like digging into my sled anymore this year. Maybe next year. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on all the cool stuff you do.

ROCKERDAN likes this.
  9. ROCKERDAN

Other
    Snowmobile:
    '18 RTX 50th "Winder"
    I hear ya. Its abit time consuming removing all the stuff. Battery and wiring ect, sorta a pain but not bad.

It just really bugged me, to see how LOOSE the clamps were....Im surprised they werent leaking alot worse. I was able to tighten them many many turns! Not much diff then all my turbo hose clamps, all barely snug at all.

Dan

10. hman4

hman4 Extreme

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2010 Apex, 2002srx, 2000 srx
    Wow, thanks for the post and all the pics. I just installed a header and haven’t put it back together yet. Will definitely check before putting it back together. Like you said not a terrible job but I would have hated seeing this post if I just put it back together.

cannondale27 and ROCKERDAN like this.
  11. hman4

hman4 Extreme

USA
    Snowmobile:
  12. ROCKERDAN

Other
    Snowmobile:
    '18 RTX 50th "Winder"
    Man that is a gorgeous header! Im trying to save some goodies for next year! LOL

Yeah as you know, lots to remove to get down that deep... but easy to do. I guess next fall I will do it all again when I call Dave and have him send me his header..haha

Looks great brother!

13. hman4

hman4 Extreme

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Thanks for the compliment Dan and all you do here. Sled is starting to come together and your posts are what got me where I am. I’m with you though, nobody is working on my sled but me. I may screw something up but I can live with the flaws I do as compared to some shop.

Snoden, Blueaway, Turbo 998 and 2 others like this.
  14. raptordan

raptordan Extreme

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2017 sidewinder ltx le
    Great write up and pictorial as always Dan, I had this exact same leak last week that I had to fix!

ROCKERDAN likes this.
  15. Conedodger

Conedodger Extreme

USA
    Snowmobile:
    shopping, blew up my 07 MachZ1000
    Dan, thanks, How many hours in this little hose clamp project?

16. snowbeast

snowbeast TY 4 Stroke God

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2015 apex xtx traded for a 2017 sidewinder L-tx-le
    FACEBOOK:
    yes
    YOUTUBE:
    yes
    Dan,if you have not reinstalled that C clamp back onto the header flex pipe,do yourself a favor,red locktight that ave nut,as it backed off mine out in the willie wacks,and had to have it spot welded togeather to continue to ride. For some reason my old clamp NUT must have been bad new,but if its already off,just a tad of locker wont hurt.

cannondale27 likes this.