• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

exhaust breakage

YAMMY

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
apex gt
anyone ever have the exhaust break on there 4 stroke . My 05 vectors exhaust broke cleanly right at where the 3 into 1 comes together. It looks like it all has to come out to fix. any thoughts on how or the best way to do it?

Take it out and weld it up. I have added an extra support close to the joint of the header and muffler pipe. Helps take the strain off the system.

ya I kinda figured I 'd have to weld it ..just trying to figure out what I have to do exactly to pull it out ...(shortcuts ) any quick procedures, do I have to remove the manifolds ..etc....

I own an 05 Vector. Seat comes off easy then the gas tank. Have replaced the donuts a couple times. I'd think the exhaust would be fairly easy with the possible exception of trying to remove rusty bolts.

I just had to weld the exhaust on my 05 venture. It broke right where it goes into the rear exhaust section. I was able to remove it without messing w/ the rear muffler section...just enough clearance. I fitted another piece of pipe inside before welding to beef it up a bit. No doubt metal fatigue from years of big ice chunks slamming into it. Good time to throw in some copper donuts too:)

Ya thanks for all the responses , but I figured it out.Had to drop the suspension and pull the manifolds, to get around the exhaust hanger, ( now theres and engineering marvel). pull out the entire exhauast, which is two piece, pull the piece out of the pipe , where it had clamped in , and weld it back on the header piece. the problem; it wont go back in as one piece, you have to put the header in and then the muffler / pipe in and then clamp it together.The hardest part was getting the broke piece out of the tail pipe without screwing it up and bending it all to #*$&@! But I got it and its done. The whole reason for the post was to see if anyone knew a different way to do it or if there was some shortcuts to this madness. Now all I need is some flyweights for my clutch!
anyone?

Last edited:
No shortcuts. Hopefully you checked all the rivets attaching the bracket under the tunnel that supports the y-pipe. Mine had all the rivets pulled thru the tunnel, which caused my y-pipe to become unsupported and it broke at that location, and caused other damage as well ( had 37,000 kms on it at the time of failure).

How did you get the pipe back together on the sled with the 3 into 1 compression gasket? When mine broke I ordered an Excell header so I could easily install it without having to compress the two ends together.

My exhaust support rivets also pulled through the thin aluminum tunnel. I reinforced the top with stainless plates so it shouldn't happen again.

How did you get the pipe back together on the sled with the 3 into 1 compression gasket? When mine broke I ordered an Excell header so I could easily install it without having to compress the two ends together.
I had to put the header in then put the muffler in and just put em together . then clamped em ! support rivets were fine. The hardest part was having to separate the header piece from the compression gasket. had to pry the flanges out a bit. but it all went back together fine.

Like Yammy, I just bent out the phlanges on the muffler pipe to allow all of it to slide together. I then used a proper muffler clamp and an air gun to tighten everything together really well ( I didn't like the stock clamp set up ).

Like Yammy, I just bent out the phlanges on the muffler pipe to allow all of it to slide together. I then used a proper muffler clamp and an air gun to tighten everything together really well ( I didn't like the stock clamp set up ).
When I had to replace my exhaust doughnuts on my sled, I took out the allen head bolts from the clamps, and hangers, and added real bolts. So now very easy to take off, as you will not strip out the head on it. It will either loosen or break. You guys gave me that idea. And it is very nice to work on the exhaust when you need to.:)

Did you put in copper exhaust donuts while you had the exhaust out. If you did then you should never again need to open it up barring some type of extreme breakage again.

Did you put in copper exhaust donuts while you had the exhaust out. If you did then you should never again need to open it up barring some type of extreme breakage again.
If you where asking me. Yes I did. Copper exhaust doughnuts. Ground all the clamps some, and used regular bolts with the right thread size. And got everything nice a tight.

Back