• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust donuts.

swedishrider

Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
Rs Rage, srv, a bunch of arctic cat vintage sleds.
I had a slight rattle at startup coming directly from the rear motor/under the front of tunnel the last trips so I got down for a exhaust donut replace now in the offseason.

Read the great diy donut thread here on TY for the procedure and got into it, was a strait forward job and not a single bolt was stuck, rusted or stripped actually. (Well that NEVER happen, so just that alone is worth a beer!! :cool: )

Thing is that the donuts looked just fine apart from a single v-clamp that had spun itself and lost just a little tension, so i just grinded the clamps a few millimeters and put them on withe the old donuts.

From what i have read the donuts do fail often, do they just split into thousand peieces and blow out or do they shrink and leak?

shrink and leak from the 2 i did so far this off season.

They just wear out, and disappear, if you wait long enough to change them.
Even with grinding the clamps, they'll wear away again.
I've changed mine twice, then put in copper ones.
So far about 6000 km on the copper ones.
24000 km on the sled, and still on the 2nd belt!
Since you have the sled apart, why don't you put in copper donuts?
Also, since you have the 3 into 1 pipe in your hands, check it for cracked welds.
Mine broke in half last winter, and I had my welder fix it, along with 5 other cracked welds.
The copper donuts still looked good, and all the clamps were still tight.

You don't have what you ride in your profile so I wonder but I can't believe you put the old ones back in. Yamaha has upgraded them and they are cheap to replace. You may not have such luck taken it apart to replace them next time. Nothing like new donuts.. Good luck.

I put the copper ones in my Vector a few years ago and still so far so good. I wasn't aware Yamaha came out with new ones? If they are just as good or better than the copper ones and are similar/same price wise, choose what is easiest to get.

Attachments

• IMG_0526 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0526 (Large).JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 147
I put the copper ones in my Vector a few years ago and still so far so good. I wasn't aware Yamaha came out with new ones? If they are just as good or better than the copper ones and are similar/same price wise, choose what is easiest to get.

they came out long time ago..there not copper. I don't know what they are made of now..But it wasn't long before they realized the first style/material wasn't good enough. Probably not as durable as copper.

The sled is a 2005 Rs RAGE with 6000miles on it.

The copper donuts is mostly only alivalable overseas and I'm located in Sweden, shipping would not be that fun or cheap either. But I've looked into that option.

I got the regular donuts from a webstore located here in sweden but it took them over two whole weeks to deliver and by that time I put the sled together alredy. The donuts looked fine, just one that was just the sligthest loose so the clamp had had rotated and rattle against lower part of the heatsheild.

Btw inhumane price of the smallest items, donuts was 20$ each plus shipping... o_O ... The're twice the price of silver per ounce.

Back