• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust glow

upnumber6

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 apex rtx, 2011 apex se
Any of you guys with stock or aftermarket cans notice a glowing circle on the ground under your sled if ran in the mid range (45-60 mph) for a while? I also get a few flames coming out when I Play with the throttle around that speed and after harder runs.

Any of you guys with stock or aftermarket cans notice a glowing circle on the ground under your sled if ran in the mid range (45-60 mph) for a while? I also get a few flames coming out when I Play with the throttle around that speed and after harder runs.
Is your sled tuned? Sounds lean to me.

Not tuned, but thinking back. It started when I started getting premium fuel from a good source. And the other night I filled it with regular (was all I could get and jerry cans were empty) and it didn’t do it.
I thought possibly an exhaust leak but I don’t see any signs of one inside and no backfiring

With the rain we got, ridding is over for a while. Maybe I’ll pull the plugs and take a peek this weekend

My exhaust will get cherry red after a few hard pulls.

The only time I've seen flames come out is on a sled with aftermarket muffler and no tune. Too lean.

yes I have. Got back to the truck late one day as it was getting dark, shut off my sled and walked over to the truck, unlocked it and then opened the door/ ramp on my trailer. Started walking back to my sled when my buddy asked about the red glow under my sled. It was coming from my exhaust pipe. Inside of that muffler must get cherry red.
May have been caused by the fat running and hard starting problem I was having last season ? Stock mod muffler.

Shall have to try that again this year to see if it still happens.

Forgot to ask - stock muffler?

yes I have. Got back to the truck late one day as it was getting dark, shut off my sled and walked over to the truck, unlocked it and then opened the door/ ramp on my trailer. Started walking back to my sled when my buddy asked about the red glow under my sled. It was coming from my exhaust pipe. Inside of that muffler must get cherry red.
May have been caused by the fat running and hard starting problem I was having last season ? Stock mod muffler.

Shall have to try that again this year to see if it still happens.

You stated you run stock mod muffler. Tune or no tune???

You stated you run stock mod muffler. Tune or no tune???

Back then it was my first EcoTrail tune. Thought the tune was giving me problems, running fat and staining the side of my sled and hard starting issues. Ended up being many components needed to be changed out by dealer on warranty. They changed out components and reflashed my ecotrail just to make sure. Different sled after that, so I then got an upgrade Max Spool 16 flash.

So I wonder if all winders have that glow under the exhaust at night after running it WOT for short distances.

I do not ride at night usually, so not sure. I do know that I noticed the Max Spool 16 increased the run temp on my sled along with power and speed ;)!. What use to be a 173 ish is now a178 ish. Timing, fuel??

Shall keep an eye out for the glow if any night rides occur. A riding buddy just put the sm Max Spool 16 in his, so shall see if the stock muffler does the same.

Just go on youtube and watch some videos of turbo motor dyno runs. You'll see what your exhaust system looks like when you're getting on it

Back then it was my first EcoTrail tune. Thought the tune was giving me problems, running fat and staining the side of my sled and hard starting issues. Ended up being many components needed to be changed out by dealer on warranty. They changed out components and reflashed my ecotrail just to make sure. Different sled after that, so I then got an upgrade Max Spool 16 flash.

So I wonder if all winders have that glow under the exhaust at night after running it WOT for short distances.

I do not ride at night usually, so not sure. I do know that I noticed the Max Spool 16 increased the run temp on my sled along with power and speed ;)!. What use to be a 173 ish is now a178 ish. Timing, fuel??

Shall keep an eye out for the glow if any night rides occur. A riding buddy just put the sm Max Spool 16 in his, so shall see if the stock muffler does the same.

After reading your last post I can attest there is nothing wrong here. I'll give my sled a hot supper and the muffler gets so cherry red I can light a cigarette off it!!

After reading your last post I can attest there is nothing wrong here. I'll give my sled a hot supper and the muffler gets so cherry red I can light a cigarette off it!!

Glad To hear that.
These 998 turbocharged motors do put out some heat on those long trails that your region offers!

Glad To hear that.
These 998 turbocharged motors do put out some heat on those long trails that your region offers!

Yup, I put a 4inch mo-flo to assist with cooling.

Attachments

• 20181216_000518.jpg
    20181216_000518.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 184
Yup, I put a 4inch mo-flo to assist with cooling.

Before I saw that pic, I was thinking, what it is This 4 inch mo-flo? :rofl:

Cool, in more ways then one. front and back of that side belly pan?

Shall have to google that to see what type of breathable material used.

Back