• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

exhaust valve help needed

sledheadgeorge

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Which one? I have 6
Leaving on a northern trip tomorrow and though I would adjust the exhaust valve only to find that the one cable is broken. Getting a cable at this point is not an option. My question to everyone here is; What position should the valve be in to have it open? I can adjust the valve to be open with the one cable so it is in the open position but just looking at the valve from the outside I do not know what position is open. I realize that this is not an exact science without tearing into it but at this point I just want to leave it open and repair after my trip. Appreciate your help.

You can go to the frequently asked questions section in apex and attack forum. MrSled did a very good write-up of adjusting the exup valve.
It is an excellent write up. However I am leaving on a trip tomorrow and would like to wire it up so the valve is fully open. I can repair the cables when I get back. No Yamaha dealers here in this remote area.
I just need to know the approx. position of the valve when you look at it, to fix it open. Have never had one apart, and cannot seem to find that info anywhere.
I noticed the other day a friend of mine, who has the exact same sled, track, year, weight etc, was pulling away from me on the lake. I also noticed I was burning more fuel than he was. I also got a back fire on full throttle and hard deceleration. I though it was the donuts but when I tore into it today saw it was the EXUP cable. Go figure. Always happens when ready to go on a trip. So I figure if I wire up the valve to the open position for now, it will carry me threw till I can get the cables.

Is the EXUP valve in the open position when the knoch on the valve face is in the forward position or the rear position?

Quite sure it's open when the alignment marks are aligned. Drill bit in the alignment hole.

Quite sure it's open when the alignment marks are aligned. Drill bit in the alignment hole.

That's the static position, it moves when you rev it up, I think around 8500 rpms. Someone did a write up about wiring it open on here....

I had a broken cable and was able to go to the local hardware store and get a cable end for a carburetor for a car (round nub with a set screw) and make the old cable work. FWIW.

Back