• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Experience with aftermarket stators? 1997 Mountain Max 700

McLovin

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
1997 Mountain Max 700 144 1.5
Has anybody here had experience with aftermarket stators? My 1997 Mountain Max 700 144 needs a new stator. Yamaha $500, aftermarket $150. It is an old sled, but I do love it!
What would you guys do? Would love to know if you think the sled will be as good with an aftermarket stator.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Has anybody here had experience with aftermarket stators? My 1997 Mountain Max 700 144 needs a new stator. Yamaha $500, aftermarket $150. It is an old sled, but I do love it!
What would you guys do? Would love to know if you think the sled will be as good with an aftermarket stator.

From reading posts on here aftermarket stators don't last long & then you got the labor involved.

From reading posts on here aftermarket stators don't last long & then you got the labor involved.
Appreciate this first response! Will also be curious about whether a used Yamaha part would be better than a new aftermarket.

Rocky Mountain Atv sells oem parts at a discount. New oem stator from Yamaha $256 Free shipping. I own a motorcycle repair shop. Aftermarket is a last resort, if you have to go that route use rmstator or rickystator

Which part of the stator is bad? If it is just the pickup coil, that can be bought separate aftermarket, and you can leave the rest of the stock stator in place.

I would NOT use an aftermarket stator, unless you want to change it again. I'm pretty sure I got oem from partzilla for around $230 a few years ago.

If you look up the build specs on a stator it can be rewound with the correct wire they call for. You just have to measure the resistance of the winding and keep winding it until it gets the proper resistance. Then cut and solder the wire on.

i always go oe. heard too many stories about aftermarket ones failing. like to spend time riding more than wrenching.

Yes, even used is better than non oem, there is just no way to know with the aftermarket stuff. Same with car parts I always pay extra for name brand and even then sometimes it's still chinese junk.

Rocky Mountain Atv sells oem parts at a discount. New oem stator from Yamaha $256 Free shipping. I own a motorcycle repair shop. Aftermarket is a last resort, if you have to go that route use rmstator or rickystator
Thanks a lot buddy! Went with OEM from Rocky Mountain ATV! Gotta take good care of the Mountain Max.

I do agree that stock is the best choice, but we shouldn't forget that Yamaha had horrible stator reliability way back with the 2002 SRX and early Viper 700's. For OEM they were junk!

Out of the 4 proactions I've owned (3- 2001s and 1- 1999). The Only one that went bad was at about 8000ish miles. A 2001 sx700R

Back