1. We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.
    Dismiss Notice

Extra wheel kit? (Schmidt brothers)

Discussion in 'SR Viper Talk' started by picasso, Feb 12, 2018.

1. picasso

picasso Pro

USA
    Snowmobile:
    SR Viper R-TX DX
    getting a lot of hifax wear right in the very front. Right at the curve, right in front of the existing wheel. Any body try the Schmidt brothers kit? Are there other options?

My track tension is 2” with 20 lbs of pull.

3. cannondale27

cannondale27 Moderator Staff Member Moderator Vendor Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

Same here. Interested for sure.

4. picasso

picasso Pro

USA
    Snowmobile:
    SR Viper R-TX DX
    I’m also wondering if I could just add 2 more stock E0C4ABA3-C0FE-483B-B378-7A38FE30675B.jpeg wheels with the little cast aluminum mounts

5. murdered137

murdered137 Snow Punisher Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Yamaha sr viper 15 ltx dx, mpi 190 turbo, straight line header, 38" mtx front end, mtx steering, mtx seat, xtx 141" skid and 2.25" power claw track
    I dont believe there's enough meat in the rail up front for that style mount, what you can do is buy some mtx anti stab wheels and shaft, drill 2 holes anywhere you like and your done.

cannondale27 and picasso like this.
  6. picasso

picasso Pro

USA
    Snowmobile:
    SR Viper R-TX DX
    You talking this kit? B428EFED-0C63-4E78-A72A-ABE891D95D49.png

7. yammitrip1

yammitrip1 Expert

USA
    Snowmobile:
    back country sx viper, trail sx viper s
    Damn, that would help out alot!!

8. rbell14

rbell14 TY 4 Stroke Junkie

You guys running Dupont hifax or stock? I've been very impressed so far with my Duponts with about 1,500 miles on them. Stock wore quick in the front curve but my Duponts have not yet shown wear in that spot.

9. murdered137

murdered137 Snow Punisher Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Yamaha sr viper 15 ltx dx, mpi 190 turbo, straight line header, 38" mtx front end, mtx steering, mtx seat, xtx 141" skid and 2.25" power claw track
    Yup, guys are using this setup in numerous area's on the skid, especially longer taller lug guy's that spend time on the trail, prolly can buy the components individually from cat but not sure if cheaper or not.

10. cannondale27

cannondale27 Moderator Staff Member Moderator Vendor Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

Center shock will hit shaft if located where the wear is with that kit. Be careful.

11. BFS

BFS Extreme

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2016 LTX-LE
    Red/White
    4E0255B1-89FA-437F-8AF0-739C67333D51.jpeg
    I added the Wahl Bro’s.

cannondale27 and murdered137 like this.
  12. cannondale27

That's closer to wear spot than other kit for sure. I will say since I started running track tighter than previously wear has gone down dramatically and I am not using Duponts anymore till this gets figured out. I tried the single little wheels right on wear spot and lost one second ride out so not going the small Hyfax saver wheel route either. I believe the wear is from track bunching up at front at high speed.

13. picasso

picasso Pro

USA
    Snowmobile:
    SR Viper R-TX DX
    Yes I’m running the stock hifax(non DuPont)
    I currently have 1100 miles on this set. It’s worn to just past the first mark. We did run about 200 miles of pretty crappy stuff. It’s a shame because the only wear spot is right there. Not even close anywhere else.

cannondale27 likes this.
  14. picasso

picasso Pro

USA
    Snowmobile:
    SR Viper R-TX DX
    I really hate pulling the hifax off with it being worn to just a fuzz past the first mark, but we are going back to the UP for a week. We usually put on at least a 1000 miles. I gues I’d rather be safe and wasteful than thrifty and sorry. Not really liking the extra wheel kit options at this point. Wish I could just add another stock set of the front wheels

15. rbell14

rbell14 TY 4 Stroke Junkie

I was hesitant to try the DuPonts given the price and not knowing if they would last long enough to make it worth it but I have about 1,500 miles on them and I'm not showing any signs of wear, especially in the front curve of the skid. Might be worth a try for you.

16. picasso

picasso Pro

USA
    Snowmobile:
    SR Viper R-TX DX
    Maybe. Thought about trying them.