• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EXUP cable replacement

brmurph

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 APEX XTX
I broke one of the EXUP cables during the adjustment procedure and have a couple of questions. The adjustment seems to make sense but since I am putting on new cables how tight should the tension on the cables be? Or is it just a guess :)? The other question has to do with the servo motor, once I installed it I noticed the servo motor rocks back and forth (fairly loose) even though the bolts are tight, is this normal?

Thanks..

There shouldn't be significant tension on either cable, I adjusted so there was just a slight bit of slack, easy to move in the sheath, not tight as a fiddle string.
Shoot some lube down the sheath around the wire cable, I used Fluid Film with the pin point nozzle every now and again.
The servo unit is mounted using rubber isolators to minimize vibration etc, some movement is normal.
Cheers.

coat them with anti seize or something to keep them from rusting or they will break again and again and again.....

Thanks all. If I do coat the cables is anti seize the best thing to use and do you just put a little on the cables closes to the valve (where the break was)? I assume whatever you use you just want a little bit being that close to the exhaust? Apexallday is this also what the fluid film is for or is that just to lube the cable.

I think whatever you use on the exposed cable that goes around the exup pulley will eventually burn off, but can't hurt if you use something high heat like nickel based anti-seize.
I just sprayed Fluid Film up inside the black sheath to give that area some lube.
The extreme heat is the culprit on breaking the cables imo, many heat cycles and bending/straightening cause the wire cables to work harden, fray and eventually fail.

Wow, never considered having to deal with a broken one of these. When one does break, then what. Does the machine throw a code and continue or does it stay shut off when u have lunch,lol
Thanks for any input.

The sled has no idea the cable is even broken, and neither will you.....unless of course you notice a difference in performance.

Oh, welllllllll then i better check mine out. My vstrom throws a code as soon as i tried to disconnect it during an exhaust change.
Thanks

Oh, welllllllll then i better check mine out. My vstrom throws a code as soon as i tried to disconnect it during an exhaust change.
Thanks

One of my cables broke last trip of the season, had a code 17 on the display, otherwise didn't notice a significant performance change.

took mine apart to do dounuts in august and both cables where broken. did not notice it on the last ride i took and tripped no codes. 22000km before they failed.

only get a code if you remove the box that the cables go into or if it is unplugged.

My plan is to never check UNLESS noticeable change in performance. then might pursue but if many riders - experienced performance oriented-are unaware of break/failure. I ? Why bother ?
Already faster than the 600 Doos and Vectors/vipers I ride with. Only challenge was an 800 cat but he no longer tries cause he hates to loose an did several times

Back