• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FAQ: How To - DriveShaft/JackShaft bearing"REGREASE" Step by step

ROCKERDAN

OCD Sledhead
Country
Other
Snowmobile
'18 RTX 50th "Winder"
After about 3500-4000 miles of mostly "clean snow" riding(no snirt) I checked my Bearings....as most have said the Jackshaft bearing wasnt too bad,however the driveshaft bearing was pretty nasty....

If this is done seasonally,I doubt you would EVER have to replace either of these.

here is what i did....and how easy it was to do,taking very little time...I will definitely be doing this every season now.....

Tools needed are snap ring pliers and also i used a dental type tool,to POP off the covers...clean the bearings with something like wd40(not brake or carb cleaner) then add grease.

Remove belt,remove secondary(14mm bolt) and be sure to take note of all SHIMS/washers on the jackshaft,as there will be some infront of secondary and behind...be sure to put back together exactly same.

Step by step pics...

Dan

Attachments

• DSC01183.JPG
    DSC01183.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 4,917
  • DSC01182.JPG
    DSC01182.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 4,009
  • DSC01181.JPG
    DSC01181.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 3,811
  • DSC01180.JPG
    DSC01180.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 4,139
  • DSC01179.JPG
    DSC01179.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 3,915
  • DSC01178.JPG
    DSC01178.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 3,302
  • DSC01177.JPG
    DSC01177.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 3,787
  • DSC01176.JPG
    DSC01176.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 4,075
  • DSC01175.JPG
    DSC01175.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 3,407
  • DSC01174.JPG
    DSC01174.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 3,090

Good tip, still cant figure out why they made such a great product and no grease zerks!, charge me another 5bucks and make them grease able.

RED said:
Good tip, still cant figure out why they made such a great product and no grease zerks!, charge me another 5bucks and make them grease able.

I'll second that! At least the drive shaft bearing. Maybe for '09??

Dan, Can you just change the driveshaft bearing right there or is there alot more to it then that?

SledFreak said:
Dan, Can you just change the driveshaft bearing right there or is there alot more to it then that?

There are 2 allen set screws on the bearing collar inside of the tunnel. Loosen them and the bearing slides out where you see it in the picture.
Just slide the new one on and put the set screws in it. The new bearing does not come with the screws. Easy to do and worth the $30 price of a new bearing. I did the grease procedure the first 2 years and then it was time to change it.

snappy said:
whats the problem with carb or brake cleaner???

those types of cleaners tend to strip when they clean.....its tough to get all the cleaner back out of the bearing once you spray it,so I feel its best to use something OIL based like WD40,which wont hurt if some stays in.....

Dan

SledFreak said:

well YES and NO....

you do need to do all the above PLUS you need to get underneath,and at the set screws,as mentioned above....they are not the simplest thing to get at sometimes....but can be removed,then the bearing SHOULD slide off the end of shaft.....

the reason I say "should" is because ive seen them where they are RUSTED onto the shaft pretty badly...and can be a real prick to get off....

That is why I wanted to post this....My thinking here is if you do this once every season,or whenever you FEEL its needed,you shouldnt ever have to actually change the bearing for a long long time....

the time to do this was VERY QUICK....once you got the secondary off,its a matter of minutes only to pull cover and clean/grease her up....I did both bearings and had all back together in less then 15 minutes....youll never change out a bearing that fast.

I just used the same low temp synthetic grease that is in my gun,that i would use on skid ect.

Dan

SharkAttak said:
is the jackshaft bearing on the secondary side hard to replace?

Im not sure,as I havent done one....but it looks like it can be PULLED off the shaft...someone else may chime in here whos done one...

just another reason to grease it....since this will reduce the chance of ever having to change it.

Dan

ROCKERDAN said:
SharkAttak said:
is the jackshaft bearing on the secondary side hard to replace?

Im not sure,as I havent done one....but it looks like it can be PULLED off the shaft...someone else may chime in here whos done one...

just another reason to grease it....since this will reduce the chance of ever having to change it.

Dan

thanks Dan, i think i'll do it first thing tomorrow

I've been doing this exact procedure once a summer for years. It works like a charm & keeps the bearings good as new. Great job on the pics Dan. One other tip for everyone - you don't need to remove the speedo gear at all.

vice108 said:
I've been doing this exact procedure once a summer for years. It works like a charm & keeps the bearings good as new. Great job on the pics Dan. One other tip for everyone - you don't need to remove the speedo gear at all.

ahhh you are right!...no reason to remove it except to get at the cover alittle easier.....

I had heard many guys talk about doing this,and figured when i did it i would snap off pics for everyone,really cant beleive how easy and fast it was!...

thanks
Dan

Reactions: JRM

Back