• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fastest stock motored Apex?

wolfie

Expert
Lowered suspension, .75 track, 96 ice chisels, extra wheel kit, stock gearing and reverse still installed. Stock motor, shaved clutchesand his own custom clutching It regularly pulls 122-24, and a few at 126, 127 with a tail wind on good ice.

Attachments

• Apexradar3.jpg
    Apexradar3.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 323
  • Apexradar1.jpg
    Apexradar1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 299

wolfie said:
Lowered suspension, .75 track, 96 ice chisels, extra wheel kit, stock gearing and reverse still installed. Stock motor, shaved clutchesand his own custom clutching It regularly pulls 122-24, and a few at 126, 127 with a tail wind on good ice.
Hi wolfie,i thought lawrence had the apex ER,its hard in the pics,but is that the gt? If it is thats awsome well i guess he got the gremlins all figured out ha.. thats preety darn good,is he finally happy with it,and does it spank his very good running srx? Kevin Bailey and i will be doing some stuff to my ripsaw this fall,and i am sure i will hear all the details from kevin lol was that Little Sebago lake?? Pete

Red ER with a GT windshield on my Puter.

I thought they were faster with a Mid Height shield.

Re: mph

pro116 said:
Wow that's awesome mph . :Rockon:
You bet it is even with a tail wind,i know this guy and he works hard at set up,plus he never takes his stuff out and pounds it in the trails,so his stuff stays nice and true and rolls real free,just the kind of stuff we all that race look to have!! ;)!

06 Apex GT Stock motor,stock clutch(NOT- cut or shaved), stock gearing,my own clutching combination,low windshield,stock heavy 1.25" ripsaw track with 144 studs,lowered susp.Windage plates.Small wheel kit at bend of rail.With reverse.
NO- RAM AIR kit.NO speed track.NO NOS.

4 runs between 122.2 mph and 124.4 mph!!Ice track. :die :die :die

Another RTX (no reverse) with cut sheaves and geared up did some runs of 120-122+mph and just touched 123mph.
People believe it when I tell them a 06 Mach Z ran a 125.1 or .2 mph?(just a tic over 125 I remember) same time of day as I ran but they absolutely get angry and downright belligerent with disbelief after telling them the mph my GT went.Probably because their Apex won`t go that fast after bolting in clutch kit "A" or "B".
MANY little gains can be made else where than the clutching and a speed track!!!!!!
We got BA APEX s 06 RTX sled with some of the same things done to his sled as mine,to go 120 mph,up from his previous best of 116,with his 280 lb body on it.I filmed that and held the gun.

Yammi182 did you still have stock slides in,or have them completely removed,or just cut down,the lowered sus. helps alot,but i really have not taken any time to look and see if i can strap the skid down in certain places to help top speed,have you any tips?

YAM182 said:
06 Apex GT Stock motor,stock clutch(NOT- cut or shaved), stock gearing,my own clutching combination,low windshield,stock heavy 1.25" ripsaw track with 144 studs,lowered susp.Windage plates.Small wheel kit at bend of rail.With reverse.
NO- RAM AIR kit.NO speed track.NO NOS.

4 runs between 122.2 mph and 124.4 mph!!Ice track. :die :die :die

Another RTX (no reverse) with cut sheaves and geared up did some runs of 120-122+mph and just touched 123mph.
People believe it when I tell them a 06 Mach Z ran a 125.1 or .2 mph?(just a tic over 125 I remember) same time of day as I ran but they absolutely get angry and downright belligerent with disbelief after telling them the mph my GT went.Probably because their Apex won`t go that fast after bolting in clutch kit "A" or "B".
MANY little gains can be made else where than the clutching and a speed track!!!!!!
We got BA APEX s 06 RTX sled with some of the same things done to his sled as mine,to go 120 mph,up from his previous best of 116,with his 280 lb body on it.I filmed that and held the gun.

What kind of speeds do you see on the dreammeter just running on SNOW??

MNM-
My slides are stock.BA APEX had the graphite slides in his RTX.
When lowering susp there seems to be a sweet spot (at least for my sled)
and any further lowering is no good.
I had the small wheels just at the bend and BA had oversize wheels all over.
Tip?I run with just a little gas in the tank.2 gal or so.

Welter-
I don`t think I get much over 115 speedo on snow but I really don`t look.I stop looking at the speedo(after a point)when Im on snow as there are usually other sleds around me.On the lakes or reservior Im looking out for snowpiles left from guys that stop half way accross and then take off spinning their track and leaving a 6-12 inch snow pile for someone to hit while doing 90+. :o| :o| I also have to watch out for the other guys trying to avoid the snowpiles.When lake or reservior running I have to watch that other sleds don`t swerve in front of me as Im passing or I could give them the Brian Vickers treatment.

YAM182 said:
MNM-
My slides are stock.BA APEX had the graphite slides in his RTX.
When lowering susp there seems to be a sweet spot (at least for my sled)
and any further lowering is no good.
I had the small wheels just at the bend and BA had oversize wheels all over.
Tip?I run with just a little gas in the tank.2 gal or so.

Welter-
I don`t think I get much over 115 speedo on snow but I really don`t look.I stop looking at the speedo(after a point)when Im on snow as there are usually other sleds around me.On the lakes or reservior Im looking out for snowpiles left from guys that stop half way accross and then take off spinning their track and leaving a 6-12 inch snow pile for someone to hit while doing 90+. :o| :o| I also have to watch out for the other guys trying to avoid the snowpiles.When lake or reservior running I have to watch that other sleds don`t swerve in front of me as Im passing or I could give them the Brian Vickers treatment.
Thanks for the info!! :rocks:

Tip-For radar runs on ice-
Use worn stock carbides! ;)!
Not too worn though as you need some control to avoid hitting the guy holding the radar gun!
Studs- My Gt and other Yamaha sleds around seem to need at least 144(trail) studs to get traction for the runs or it spins the track.The quicker I hook up the better run I have and potentially can have.Track I`ve run is 1 mile and sometimes the peak speed happens just a I go by the gun.
A steady slow but hard acceleration with not much track spin seems to get the best speeds.
96 studs did not work for me as I could spin the track too easy.I used slightly worn 80deg stud boys that are ok but just not enough bite to use any less than 144.This is my trail sled with trail studs remember.
With sharper studs 96 will work.
It takes(robs) horsepower to pull studs out of the ice!

i run123 mph on radar and dream meter reads 139 mph thats on ice on lake and on pack trail on lake my speeds are 127 to 131 mph apex gt 1 inch lug 96 down the middle

wolfie said:
`

Care to share your lowering/suspension tricks?

Back