• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Feeling Guilty

I must say that I have the updated shock on my 16 xtx Apex and found it a lot better than the one it came with for sure, still dialing it in to suit the trails I ride which can change on a daily basis, but just finding that happy spot on the shock with the adjustments and pressure is what i'm after, Doo makes the best rear skid in the business so compared to my updated shock on my sled its like sitting on a anvil in the trails to Doo's rear skid, but my skid has not left me or my back crippled after a long day on the ungroomed trails by any means, I would think running groomed trails with my set up would be sweet, so... is there room for improvement on my Apex... Yep but you will have to go to aftermarket to do it, just a thought ...just think how bad the winder guys feel after spending big money for there sleds and have to spend money to upgrade to keep them running down the trail not to mention every part is pretty much on back order, Doo... I must say is on the ball with their line up and what they have to offer, seems well thought out to please their customers.

I must say that I have the updated shock on my 16 xtx Apex and found it a lot better than the one it came with for sure, still dialing it in to suit the trails I ride which can change on a daily basis, but just finding that happy spot on the shock with the adjustments and pressure is what i'm after, Doo makes the best rear skid in the business so compared to my updated shock on my sled its like sitting on a anvil in the trails to Doo's rear skid, but my skid has not left me or my back crippled after a long day on the ungroomed trails by any means, I would think running groomed trails with my set up would be sweet, so... is there room for improvement on my Apex... Yep but you will have to go to aftermarket to do it, just a thought ...just think how bad the winder guys feel after spending big money for there sleds and have to spend money to upgrade to keep them running down the trail not to mention every part is pretty much on back order, Doo... I must say is on the ball with their line up and what they have to offer, seems well thought out to please their customers.
Doo does a very good job giving customers options on seats,skis and tracks out of the box. BUT sounds like the doo 2020 multifunction gauge may have been a step backwards , cheaper yes but no trip B odometer sounds too cheap to me.

Doo does a very good job giving customers options on seats,skis and tracks out of the box. BUT sounds like the doo 2020 multifunction gauge may have been a step backwards , cheaper yes but no trip B odometer sounds too cheap to me.
I have not heard of any problems with the new gauge i'm sure there is though, seems like the trend now going digital with the gauges, seems like extreme cold with this type of gauge is not a good match especially the Cat gauge, I prefer needle gauges or combo like on the Apex seems more sporty to me, i'm not sure if you know or not but does the 4 strokes that Doo offers have the same fogging of the engine option as with their 2 strokes has built in for summer prep, this is something else Doo has done that was well thought out for their customers to protect their investment, just wondering.

I am going to try the I grip screw in type carbide on my 1.75 next season for some extra grip on the icy trails, there is talk on this forum that riders that have used them have had pretty good luck with them and my track lugs have spots that are beefed up to house them, some Doo's in their line up are running the 16" tracks.
I've used these. They are easy to install, especially if your track has the holes in the lugs. Be sure to use the right size, there are many.

This reply is not to anybody in particular on this thread but I will say I have Ridden Yamaha‘s for 15 years without many problems but I’m disappointed with the 2016 Yamaha Apex that I bought brand new which rides horribly hard. Being forced to spend over $2000 in shocks and skis to make it ride better which I am still not happy with yet is very disheartening and the crap update they gave on the shock package was laughable at the least . It seems like if you’re spending that kind of money on a snowmobile you shouldn’t have to really put any money into it ,that being said I rode a couple of skidoo’s that were brand new this year and they ride fantastic and there is not a thing you have to do to improve on them ,I think Yamaha is just pushing these sleds out with Very little good engineering and design. The skid on my Apex is to say the least very chintzy compared to a 13,14 or 15 and it’s very obvious ,big deal they say they save 10 pounds. You can never beat the Yamaha engines but the rest of snowmobile cannot compare to many of Skidoos that they are coming out with. I love the power and dependability of my Apex and hate to give it up but the handling and Comfort is less than satisfactory
That's why I skipped the Apex and moved right to a Winder. Love the suspension and chassis performance. I've heard the rear suspension in the Doo is excellent, but mixed reviews on the front end.

What are we upgrading? I haven't touched a thing on my Winder suspension, and I'm very impressed with the ride quality.

What are we upgrading? I haven't touched a thing on my Winder suspension, and I'm very impressed with the ride quality.
Good for you, i'm glad your enjoying your machine, it seems there are some that aren't so lucky.

I have not heard of any problems with the new gauge i'm sure there is though, seems like the trend now going digital with the gauges, seems like extreme cold with this type of gauge is not a good match especially the Cat gauge, I prefer needle gauges or combo like on the Apex seems more sporty to me, i'm not sure if you know or not but does the 4 strokes that Doo offers have the same fogging of the engine option as with their 2 strokes has built in for summer prep, this is something else Doo has done that was well thought out for their customers to protect their investment, just wondering.
The doo fogging is outboard and snowmobile 2s engines 4s can’t be fogged automatically no 2s oil to mist. It is a nice feature. I did prefer the Apex gauges doo gives you a lot more information to toggle in but sooner or later you need to decide what you want to constantly observe. Tach and digital temperature was most important to me to get in a glance.

Good for you, i'm glad your enjoying your machine, it seems there are some that aren't so lucky.

No, there are many that are lucky. I currently own 2 sidewinder and love them both. If I had to go back to an apex I would quit riding.

Prior to the winders I went through 15 apexes of various designations/track lengths and prior to the apexes went through 10 RX-1s of various model. They were all tough and reliable, but I have to be honest...they rode like bricks. Let's face it...Yamaha builds awesome motors, but they cannot build a chassis that rides or handles.....period!! The cat chassis is the best in the biz. It rides, it handles, it turns, your well seated, its warm..AND...it has a Yamaha motor.....AND.....a few hundred bucks and it makes 275hp!

To think about riding anything else in my opinion is foolish.

Thanks for your comment and your honesty, but I guess going back and buying the Apex 15 times plus a few RX1's you must have like at least 1??? also if in the near future Yamaha decides to build a new cutting edge chassis to house the Winder engine your saying you would stick with the pro cross....Hmm

The doo fogging is outboard and snowmobile 2s engines 4s can’t be fogged automatically no 2s oil to mist. It is a nice feature. I did prefer the Apex gauges doo gives you a lot more information to toggle in but sooner or later you need to decide what you want to constantly observe. Tach and digital temperature was most important to me to get in a glance.
Thank you, I agree

I have both a winder and a apex the winder did start out life as a belt blower every 500 miles fixed the offset and no longer have that problem. I loved my apex for all the years I rode it. I put more money in that apex then I ever will in my winder. Big improvement from the 07 apex that was a big improvement from the rx1 I had before that. now I have the choice to ride either my winder or my apex xtx. I put 10 miles on my apex last season and 2700 on my winder. I have the choice and I never choose the apex. The winder rides like a dream. Is there a few things that need attention yes if you ignore them will they become big problems Heck yes. Thankfully we have this site and people that put the miles on that I do in 3 seasons in one season and I/we all have the knowledge from them as for what to watch out for. If Yamaha came out with a new chassis I would wait until I could ride it to see if it is even in the same realm as the pro cross before I would buy.

I did not say I was definitely buying one. I said I rode it and why I really liked it. It was not easy for me to admit, believe me! The Enduro is not available in the track length I want right now so I am waiting and thinking. Also looking for input.

I was looking to, I started with 121's and went to 136, then to 144. I really like the long tracks but don't want to have to buy a mountain sled to get it. I like the 150hp range and am quite happy with my Apex XTX. Its fast, powerful and loves to tour. Waiting to see what comes out next year. I do like the Catamaha touring sled but don't really want the turbo motor. If that sled had the Apex engine in it then it would be very hard not to switch to a Cat even with the issues it has. When you have become used to the Apex XTX and zero issues it is a scary thought to go back to a sled so full of them.

It uses straps and buckles and is not designed well. How about simply locking your luggage on with one click and having it be rugged and completely secure. This is my point. We were strapping saddlebags on 20 yrs ago! There is a better way now. Why are we willing to put up with this?

Been strapping on luggage forever, used to it I guess. I do like the Doo system a lot but a NA 1200 with triple injectors and a proper header would have got it to 150 hp and I would already have one. So Stick with my Yamaha till something better comes along

if you don't think anyone is bashing Yamaha on this site you need to read more it is everywhere. the OP wants to get a Doo go get one Yamaha doesn't have a sled he likes then go buy the one you do like. To say Yamaha let him down because they made a sled and he don't like it. to say the reason is because of cat quality? really? my friend has one and it was hard to work on and had some issues. well my apex was hard to work on till I learned how it went together too and I had the invest 1700 in my XTX to make it the sled I wanted. do I blame Yamaha no it is my personal preference. NO,But don't come on here and try to tell me the sidewinder is a piece of junk and not worth the time of day just because it is not your cup of tea. It took a little bit to get it dialed in for me but now I wouldn't change it for any other sled on the market. maybe he is just to used to Yamaha having the same cassis for the last 16 years that learning a new one is so foreign that they cant figure it out. I would bet they are the same people that couldn't stop saying Yamaha has not changed the apex in 16 years and now because they didn't call them personally and spec build a sled just for them they are going to bash what they did produce.

I like the third gen Apex a lot! Best refined sled out there! They could have refined it for another 10 years. I like it. Maybe some day the Cat will be too. Everything about the Cat is great except for well everything past the secondary to and including the brake. Its as if they cured all the RX issues with the Chassis but forgot they had to drive it. I think if Yamaha owned the damn thing it would have refined most of the crap out by now. But all that aside it boils down to 130 hp NA with a reputation spoiled by Cat or 200 plus hp on a turbo. Great for the HP junkies but if I was one of those I would have turboed my Apex long ago. So its about choices I guess. With the loss of a 150hp NA sled and nothing really exciting from any other manufacture why switch from Yamaha?

Back