• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Final performance gains?

ateick

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'24 Rene XRS 900R
'18 SR Viper RTX (SOLD)
'20 Poo XCR 850 (SOLD)
So I've kept myself busy so far in the off season adding some extras to the Viper that have been proven by the members here to add to the performance of this sled. I think I'm at almost at the limit of what can be done. The final choice seems to be to reflash with a tune or PC V. But from what I can gather it comes at a fair expense for what seems to be maybe an additional 10 hp?

I've added clutch kit, airbox mod and can. Anything I'm missing and does the 10 hp bump seem accurate? Trying to make the decision on spending the last of the budget on creature comforts (cover, tunnel bag) or hp.

To gain any noticeable increase in power past airbox and can which are noticeable you need everything that can be added. It is the diminishing returns thing. Gets harder and more expensive the more you want.

Yep, and one wonders how much power and speed is enough.....
My stock 7000 ElTigre is more than I can handle, but I am also pushing 60 years young so I don't have the need for extra speed anymore. Good luck and be safe to those that do

If you think about the question of performance increase over cost and diminishing returns.....
If it were possible to create more power and or performance safely and without additional cost or damage to the sled.....

........the engineers from the manufacture, Yamaha or any other would have done it.
Something for nothing is not possible.
There is always a cost or a price for power.

If you think about the question of performance increase over cost and diminishing returns.....
If it were possible to create more power and or performance safely and without additional cost or damage to the sled.....

........the engineers from the manufacture, Yamaha or any other would have done it.
Something for nothing is not possible.
There is always a cost or a price for power.
Ideally I believe this to be true. Ideally. In reality I've personally learned a lot about this sport in the last 3-4 months (not saying I'm an expert just armed myself with info to form certain personal options) after being away from it for decades, and admittedly never having been owner of a brand new sled. For the $ spent on these things I am shocked at what the manufacture has not done or ignored on my particular sled. I've said it before in other posts but things like continuing a universally panned bad ski design, selling a 4th wheel kit as an accessory???, lack of storage for even an additional belt, no heated visor plug, etc. The air box mod design comes to mind as a way to yield a bit more performance for virtually free, safely. Not trying to be negative but I don't trust a manufacturer to give me the best possible performance from a product if they can't even provide me a good ski. I believe their tendency is to fall on the side of safe and conservative and to have their slot they want to fit a product into.

Sounds like what I've done so far is going to give me the best bang for my budget so I really look forward to the coming winter. Thanks to all for their thoughts and input.

Ideally I believe this to be true. Ideally. In reality I've personally learned a lot about this sport in the last 3-4 months (not saying I'm an expert just armed myself with info to form certain personal options) after being away from it for decades, and admittedly never having been owner of a brand new sled. For the $ spent on these things I am shocked at what the manufacture has not done or ignored on my particular sled. I've said it before in other posts but things like continuing a universally panned bad ski design, selling a 4th wheel kit as an accessory???, lack of storage for even an additional belt, no heated visor plug, etc. The air box mod design comes to mind as a way to yield a bit more performance for virtually free, safely. Not trying to be negative but I don't trust a manufacturer to give me the best possible performance from a product if they can't even provide me a good ski. I believe their tendency is to fall on the side of safe and conservative and to have their slot they want to fit a product into.

Sounds like what I've done so far is going to give me the best bang for my budget so I really look forward to the coming winter. Thanks to all for their thoughts and input.
Power will come with a price. Storage and accessories will cost money, sometimes a lot of money. The ski up front seems Ok to some and less than adequate to others. My Cat single keel ski works great for me maybe not for the next guy. Your efforts to make a tweak here and there are what most people might consider personal custom touches. I agree that some of the options missing on the SR-Viper are a little strange. The SR-Viper was not a Yamaha design. There might be reasons we as the consumer are not privy to, that does not allow Yamaha to change the accessory package and performance parts. The sled seems as tho it is purpose built. Performance seems to be the goal and a very specific performance notch, corner to corner. You don't see a lot of Snocross riders with helmets plugged in or trying to carry an over-night bag or load up some tools with an extra belt. I have not seen a sled yet that has it all.
The Sidewinder has made some headway in all departments. It is priced accordingly.

Keep tweaking........

Back