• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Firecat skid in a RX-1?

Buckeye

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder LE XTX 137" 50th Aniversary
Has anyone installed or know someone who has installed a Firecat skid in a RX-1? I know Kip did, does anybody have his email? I can get one and would like to know what is involved.

Write a letter to Yamaha and ask them how you go about installing an Arctic Cat suspension on an RX1 because you hate the way it rides, it's cheeper than buying Ohlins or an M-10, and you find the Pro-Action to be weak and ill-suited for such a "high-performance 4-stroke snowmobile."

Besure to ask them if they can fabricate the brackets for you too.

IMO: Having to install Arctic Cat parts on a Yamaha, or any non-AC sled for that matter is pure, 100%, grade-A, unadulterated, bull #$%&*

Maybe so, but the Firecat skid is superior and the price is right. Fortuneately I found some guys that were willing to help. ;)!

I have one in a yami SX. You'll need to make up some kind of brackets to take up approximately 2.5" of space that the AC skid lacks. I used 1x3" steel with .25" aluminum stock next to the tunnel. This took up the extra 1.25" of space on each side. As for measurements for the bolts, I got measurements off of a cat and tried to apply them to the yammi. Distance from the drivers back, from the shaft to the top of the tunnel, from the shaft to the ground, etc. Then you have to take angles into account. After all this and standing there scratching my head I just put the track on and eye'd it up and made sure everything was square. One thing I did learn from the measurements though is the AC skid is not compressed at all when it is in the sled (without a rider). This made aligning everything 'easier'.

Link to pics: http://www.totallyamaha.com/forums/show ... php?t=4950

Question- what do you do about the track? Can you use a full width track on a Firecat skid??? Considering the lack of traction an RX has with the stock track (at least the '03 design), I owuldn't go narrower. I guess with the right track traction wouldn't be a problem, but you still might want to think about floatation...that rear will want to dig holes even quicker with a narrower track.

Jim

A full width track would work in a firecat skid. The rails are still the standard distance apart. Remember though that it is 128" long versus the 121" standard. Yes it will trench worse in deeper snow. With this skid it would almost be strictly a trail sled.

Back