• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First 500 miles, Noticed a few Issues....

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha Viper RTX
2018 Yamaha Viper RTX - Wife's Sled
Hi there, rode my first 500 miles on my sled this past week in the UP, but noticed a few odd issues. First one being coming to a stop after a good acceleration pull and letting off the throttle to come to a stop, the sled will backfire. Curious to see if anyone else has had this same issue. Also stopped mid-ride to grab lunch and started sled right up after this, but died while idling twice. Never had this issue throughout the weekend again. Just found these things odd. Otherwise, sled ran great. I do not have the latest re-flash that came out, I was going to wait until Spring when I can bring my sled back home and take it to Port Yamaha. Anyone else had these similar issues??

The backfire happens every now and then after a good pull, but the shutting off I wouldn't think that would be normal unless it is reaching a high engine temp from idling to long

The backfire happens every now and then after a good pull, but the shutting off I wouldn't think that would be normal unless it is reaching a high engine temp from idling to long
Kinda what I figured. it was the exact opposite when it shut off. Just came out of the bar, started up sled, put the rest of my gear on, 30 seconds later sled shut off. Restarted it, same thing about 20-30 seconds it died. Started it up again and never had the issue come back. Could've been a fluke thing I guess? Who knows!

I had the exact same stalling issue on my 17 on Saturday. Only did it once and was flawless the rest of the weekend. I also get the odd backfire after beating the crap outta it. I haven’t had any flashes done, last year it took 2 times to start, this year 1st try every time

I had the exact same stalling issue on my 17 on Saturday. Only did it once and was flawless the rest of the weekend. I also get the odd backfire after beating the crap outta it. I haven’t had any flashes done, last year it took 2 times to start, this year 1st try every time
Get the new flash

Had the backfire once on Sunday after a longer run on a railroad grade. Don’t remember it doing that last year but I did have the stall one time last year but it’s never happened since. 2016 RTX DX and it’s never been reflashed

To make a good day not fun, just got the call back from the dealer on my oil change/chaincase tension bill. $111.00 for labor. Not including the $50.00 I paid for the oil I gave them use for the oil change. Oh, the wonders of having a new sled. I'll be learning how to change the oil myself soon it looks like. Didn't have the time to mess with it last weekend and before this weekends ride. Oh well. Live and learn!

I’ll change it for that!!!!!!!

I’ll change it for that!!!!!!!
I just didn’t have the time to do it last weekend after my Up trIp and just wanted it done so I can ride again this weekend. Oh well, I will figure it out and then it’ll be all good

My dealer in Quebec charges $230 cdn with taxes for the warranty check up and servicing. After that I did it myself but everyone knows what a pain it is to do yourself and it almost seems like a deal. But some dealers do a quickie oil change and don't even drain the engine they dump the oil tank and crank over the engine thereby pumping the sump out instead. I'll take the time myself and do it myself the proper way and clean out the chain case.

My dealer in Quebec charges $230 cdn with taxes for the warranty check up and servicing. After that I did it myself but everyone knows what a pain it is to do yourself and it almost seems like a deal. But some dealers do a quickie oil change and don't even drain the engine they dump the oil tank and crank over the engine thereby pumping the sump out instead. I'll take the time myself and do it myself the proper way and clean out the chain case.
I was charged 1.5 hours for changing oil and adjusting chaincase tension. I'll do it myself from now on. But trust who was working on it. Were a Yamaha dealer for 43 years before Yamaha dropped them for not selling enough sleds...

If I thought for any reason that a dealer, working on my sled was not 100% trust worthy and competent in his or her abilities as a knowledgeable Yamaha mechanic I would not have them go near my sled. Get to know your dealer but more importantly, get to know the mechanic working on you sled.

Back