• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First sled - don't know anything about them

drmk24

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2000 Yamaha sxr500
Hello,
Back story - Brother in law's 2000 yami SXR500 stalled on him on the trail at the end of last season. Was running fine, he stopped at a crossing, tried to get going again and is stalled. Tried to start it (pull start only), and was locked up. Would not turn over at all. He pulled belt off just to get it onto trailer and get it home, then was too lazy and dumb to look into it, so it sat all summer - then he found a new one, so I win out and get his. My first sled. I've been riding/racing motocross for years, and have rebuilt several 2 stroke engines, so know about the internal/basics of the engines, but have no knowledge of sleds after the engine.

So I got it home, pulled out plugs, look fine. Pull off head - cylinder walls that I can see look good, everything that I can see looks good from the top.

This is where my knowledge becomes nonexistent - I tried to wiggle the clutch, or I think it was the clutch at least. Whatever it is that comes out of the bottom of the engine, that I assume connects to the crank shaft. When I wiggled that, I was able to turn the engine over completely (head still off so no compression). I then put head back on, and was able to pull engine over, with just some resistance from compression. Engine sounds good - no grinding, banging or sounds at all.

Then I tried to start it. Again, its my first sled, so I tried everything with the kill switch/key position. Nothing. So take plugs back out and pull. Still pulls over, no spark.

So now I wonder...what is going on? Could starter be bad? Would this cause engine to lock up and stall? Or what else would cause this? Anything I am missing or anything I should do differently or look for?

Thanks for any help!

reeds? could have inhaled a petal.

If it locked then there is something in there that's not supposed to be. Don't start it until you find a problem, you don't want to cause any additional damage.

I'm guessing something on the right side of the engine causing something to jam up

could be stator or cdi let go for the no spark unless the kill switch is down.

Back