• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First Yamaha...chose XTX

eightpilot

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 Thundercat
Well after riding Poo's for 20 years it was time to switch and the Nytro XTX was a deal I couldn't pass up. So we headed up to the U.P and put on 120 miles. The sled ran perfect but I did notice a few things:

#1. Annoying whining noise from engine compartment when coasting to a stop. Seemed to be all the time, but with the engine accelerating you couldn't here it as much. My buddy's Viper did this for the entire 6000 miles he had it. Is it chain tension or something that can be adjusted or is it just a Yamaha thing???

#2 Also, I noticed that the coolant level went down a little. It was at the full mark and now it is at the top of the letters above the low mark. Is it nomal to see this during the initial ride??

Other then that I love the sled... it ran right along side my buddy's Apex LTX to 90 MPH and that 144 in. track really hooks up well. The steering was fairly aggressive, but will be adjusted next season when I get more seat time on it. Overall I really like the sled and I feel that the 4 stroke is the way to go when you ride alot by yourself...just for peace of mind. lol... 8

1. Is it from clutch or chaincase side? put your kne over the vents on one side and lift the other kne and then change sides and you chould know where it comes from. Clutch WILL make noises, EBRS makes noises and chain makes noise. Not more than other sleds on the chain but the engine is more quiet....

#1 In my opinion, the chain transmission noise of the FX Nytro is a little bit louder than, for instance, the Apex. However, if the chain tension is only a little bit too tight, it is very loud. Try to back it off only a little bit to see if it helps. According to the manual, the chain tension should be "finger tight minus 1/4 turn"...

#2 Coolant loss from the coolant reservoir is normal during aggressive rough trail riding. Can be solved either by lengthening the overflow hose or by installing an internal hose under the reservoir cap (reaching down below the coolant surface). Please make a search regarding this, I know this topic has been covered before.

Engine braking noise from clutchs ,
Antifreeze found it's happy level !

Be happy , enjoy your trouble free ride !

I added woody's duallys to fix the front end ! front springs full soft , dampening on #3 from all the way out ! Seems good now ! Rear all soft dampening all the way out !

I don't know... does the hydraulic brake make a whining sound directly proportional to your speed when not touching the brake lever. I know you get a noise when braking, but not all the time. 8

The problem is you are used to driving 2smokes that are much louder and are experiencing the new sounds that a sled can make when not surrounded by all that noise when whistling down the trail without the utmost confidence that something is or may be wrong with your sled. Enjoy the miles of fun with a Yamaha 4 Stroke. Don't forget to change your oil after a season.

scott32 said:
The problem is you are used to driving 2smokes that are much louder and are experiencing the new sounds that a sled can make when not surrounded by all that noise when whistling down the trail without the utmost confidence that something is or may be wrong with your sled. Enjoy the miles of fun with a Yamaha 4 Stroke. Don't forget to change your oil after a season.

What he said ;)! ;)!

Also the cooling blades on the brake rotor makes a RRerrring sound. I noticed it more on my last trip as I used an open faced so it was more noticeable.

Back