• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Found the old zebco and tested the orange TPI secondary spring

fourload

TY 4 Stroke Master
Tested each wrap 3 times so they are pretty close.
60 degrees- 22lbs
50 degrees- 18lbs
40 degrees- 14lbs
The stock spring came in about 14lbs at 60 degrees.
I think Rocker Dan said the Dalton spring was 14lbs at 70 degrees.
I had my stock sled set at 60 and 50 on the orange TPI spring with the stock 35 helix and had no problems. I just lowered it to 40 and will report back when we get more snow.

60 degrees- 22lbs
50 degrees- 18lbs
40 degrees- 14lbs
I had my stock sled set at 60 and 50 on the orange TPI spring with the stock 35 helix and had no problems. I just lowered it to 40 and will report back when we get more snow.
Thanks this info is very helpful. I guess it just shows you that the TP orange is much stiffer than the Dalton black orange.

Thanks. I can't find my spring tester & my fish scale only goes to 10lbs.
Now i'm thinking 40 may be better.

60 degrees- 22lbs
50 degrees- 18lbs
40 degrees- 14lbs

Have you ever tested a EPI acss-5 purple or Cat purple ?
Thank you for the info on the TP Orange.

Am curious how it is works at 40. Ran mine once so far at 50 and clutches were hot (not boiling, able to hold hand on for a little bit).

Thanks for info. Good to see the numbers.

After talking with Gagne Lessard this week, I believe the Sidewinder secondary clutch problems are in the helix, not the spring.

Am curious how it is works at 40. Ran mine once so far at 50 and clutches were hot (not boiling, able to hold hand on for a little bit).

Thanks for info. Good to see the numbers.
As soon as we get some snow I will report . Will check back shift etc. I never had a problem with this spring even wrapped at 60. Saw 120 speedo on a lake run @ 8900. Couldn't get a lake run in @ 50 but it still was snappy with a good backshift. Maybe 40 will be the best all around ticket for backshift , upshift and top end on a stocker.

60 degrees- 22lbs
50 degrees- 18lbs
40 degrees- 14lbs
Thanks this info is very helpful. I guess it just shows you that the TP orange is much stiffer than the Dalton black orange.

Thanks for this....I did not get around to doing it, and I appreciate it.

Confirms my "guess" about the wrap, and this spring should not be set to where we all were told to wrap it. Which in conjunction with a rev angle helix is a death wish for belts making massive heat. Ask me how I know. lol

40 degrees seems to be equal to stocker(3/3) or Dalton b/o wrapped how Dale instructs.

Great work fourload,
Dan

Thanks for this....I did not get around to doing it, and I appreciate it.

Confirms my "guess" about the wrap, and this spring should not be set to where we all were told to wrap it. Which in conjunction with a rev angle helix is a death wish for belts making massive heat. Ask me how I know. lol

40 degrees seems to be equal to stocker(3/3) or Dalton b/o wrapped how Dale instructs.

Dan
Dan, where does Dale recommend the b/o spring? 3-3 or 6-1?

Tested the TP orange spring on my Apex mtx Mcx 300 52–44 helixat 3-3 and 3-2 , likes it at 3-2 no more squeeling at low speed and warm to touch.
Like it so far.

expand on this please
The stock Sidewinder helix is 35 degrees. It matches the flat profile of the primary weight. The ramp is very long and the helix moves a long way during shift out. When you install a stiffer spring, the helix moves so much that stiff spring really gets wound making it stiffer still. By taking a dual angle helix such as in my case a 45-41., the ramp is much sorter letting the stock spring to work as designed.
When choosing the helix angle for my SW, Mr. Lessard took into consideration the profile of the primary weight I was using. He then chose the helix angle to match the shift profile of the weights.
When you run a super stiff secondary spring, you slow or hold the shift of the secondary and loose clutch efficiency creating heat. You are using engine power to open the clutch instead of using power to move the sled forward. You want the primary and secondary shift rates to MATCH each other, not fight each other.
It seems that a lot of people here are clutching sleds for the first time, which is great. I love trying to make the clutches on my sleds work perfectly, it is half the fun of snowmobiling to me. BUT, remember that with the power of these Sidewinders it is easy to mask clutching inefficiency's. These sled will power right through some improper set ups. Try setting up a 60hp sled first , where every little change can be felt, good and bad.
Don't copy some one else's set ups, use them as a reference . Try things your self and get the sled to drive the way you want it to drive.

For what is worth, the world fastest sled uses a stock Apex secondary............

Back