• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fox QS3-R

JPS

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 sidewinder XTX, 2017 Viper XTX, 07 apex attack, 95 Vmax4
Looking to buy Fox QS3-R shocks for the front of my 2018 Sidewinder XTX what fox part # is the correct shock to use?

Looking to buy Fox QS3-R shocks for the front of my 2018 Sidewinder XTX what fox part # is the correct shock to use?

If you're paying full pop and buying them new, you should look into getting the Fox 1.5 zeros with high and low speed compression. The qs-3 is a gimmick really. I found 1 was too soft and 3 is too hard so they just stay on 2.

And get them from a Fox Dealer like Carver. Will be valved for you and better components such as better springs since factory Yamaha and Cat uses Cat springs not Fox and most of Carver’s have Heims instead of mount bushings. About same price.

If you're paying full pop and buying them new, you should look into getting the Fox 1.5 zeros with high and low speed compression. The qs-3 is a gimmick really. I found 1 was too soft and 3 is too hard so they just stay on 2.

I wouldn't say they're a gimmick - if you're saying that there's a noticeable difference between settings (which you are), it seems like your QS3s are working correctly to me. With that being said, Setting 3 is STIFF, which is no surprise because that's what it's there for. You've got to understand that Yamaha sells this sled for a wide range of riders for a wide range of conditions.

With that being said, I'm very happy with my QS3s that came stock on my '19 XTX (they came on all four corners). I've found that for my particular riding, the QS is a very nice feature and I do adjust it daily depending on trail conditions. Admittedly, I won't touch them if the trails are pristine all day. But let's be honest, after a weekend of riding, the trails aren't always pristine and I've liked being able to flip the switch to 3 and still be able to ride.

Assuming your '18 XTX is the full trail width front end (42" to 43"), you'll need to purchase part numbers 8KP-F330E-00-00 (damper assembly) and 8JW-F3351-10-00 (spring).

Realistically speaking, I'd move past the rebound setting and just get the base QS3 (8JW-F330E-30-00). You'll save a little over $300 in doing that depending on where you purchase the shocks - just don't forget to buy the spring!

Last edited:
What shock are you talking about? 850-02-002? there are so many variations of this shock

What shock are you talking about? 850-02-002? there are so many variations of this shock

If you go to page 478/479 (http://catalogs.wps-inc.com/2020/snowmobile/478/), you'll see the Fox 1.5 Zero RC2 ski shock available for the 2016 Arctic Cat 9000 RR (the fitment of the shock SHOULD be the same as your XTX - I'd be surprised if it's any different).

One thing to note: the old RC2 set-up has a TON of adjustment compared to the QS3 set-up. So if you go this route, understand that you're going to need to take some time to fiddle with settings (high speed compression, low speed compression, and rebound) to get everything riding the way you want it - and adjustments to each one impacts all the others. It's really a pain in the a** and something the QS3 really simplifies.

I wouldn't say they're a gimmick - if you're saying that there's a noticeable difference between settings (which you are), it seems like your QS3s are working correctly to me. With that being said, Setting 3 is STIFF, which is no surprise because that's what it's there for. You've got to understand that Yamaha sells this sled for a wide range of riders for a wide range of conditions.

With that being said, I'm very happy with my QS3s that came stock on my '19 XTX (they came on all four corners). I've found that for my particular riding, the QS is a very nice feature and I do adjust it daily depending on trail conditions. Admittedly, I won't touch them if the trails are pristine all day. But let's be honest, after a weekend of riding, the trails aren't always pristine and I've liked being able to flip the switch to 3 and still be able to ride.

Assuming your '18 XTX is the full trail width front end (42" to 43"), you'll need to purchase part numbers 8KP-F330E-00-00 (damper assembly) and 8JW-F3351-10-00 (spring).

Realistically speaking, I'd move past the rebound setting and just get the base QS3 (8JW-F330E-30-00). You'll save a little over $300 in doing that depending on where you purchase the shocks - just don't forget to buy the spring!

QS3’s only have 3 settings, the zero pro shock is essentially the same shock, but with a much wider and finer range of adjustment. 22~23 compression settings and 14~15 rebound settings. Oh yea and they cost less, a much better value IMO.

QS3’s only have 3 settings, the zero pro shock is essentially the same shock, but with a much wider and finer range of adjustment. 22~23 compression settings and 14~15 rebound settings. Oh yea and they cost less, a much better value IMO.

$1,395 for the Zero Pro RC2s from WPS and about $1,100 for the regular QS3s without rebound direct from Yamaha ($1,425 for the full blown QS3-Rs). Not to discourage anyone from the RC2s, but having that much adjustment makes it REALLY easy to get messed up and have a terrible riding sled really quick. To each their own - some people like that and some people don't. I don't think a $30 difference is really fair to push a better value when the RC2s haven't been used on a production snowmobile since 2015

$1,395 for the Zero Pro RC2s from WPS and about $1,100 for the regular QS3s without rebound direct from Yamaha ($1,425 for the full blown QS3-Rs). Not to discourage anyone from the RC2s, but having that much adjustment makes it REALLY easy to get messed up and have a terrible riding sled really quick. To each their own - some people like that and some people don't. I don't think a $30 difference is really fair to push a better value when the RC2s haven't been used on a production snowmobile since 2015

Once you have them dialed in close it’s just a matter of a few clicks either direction, it’s really not that hard to do and takes a couple seconds to re-zero if you think they are off. They are much better for a variety of rider weights than the QS3r’s.
And a better value because they are cheaper.

Just because something is a few years older has nothing to do with if it’s better or worse. They literally are the same damper, just more versatile than the QS3r shock. Everyone I’ve talked to says the same thing about the QS3’s soft setting is too soft and hard setting is too hard, so the adjustment is really moot.

From what it sounds like I’m sure you wouldn’t trade your QS3’s for the zero pros.
As for me I like the fact I can just go three clicks and it’s perfect. You on the other hand literally have 1/10 the adjustability I have and they cost more $$$$
:dunno:

I personally like the rebound adjustment. If your riding with a slower group you can turn the rebound up and the sled won’t hop. Fast riding I turn the rebound down, this prevents the suspension from “packing up” and gives a better ride.

The qs3r shocks have a broader range than the standard qs3 shocks so you don’t have to adjust them as much over varying terrain. The rebound affect the compression so it can be used as a fine adjustment between the 3 clicks and the 5/8 shafts on fronts help also. All this helps find the sweet spot in settings where you don’t have to adjust which should be the ultimate goal.

Did you ever put the QS3's on your xtx?
Looking to do the same.
Yes i did, I went with the QS3R's 2.0 with rebound, Eibach springs valved by Monster Performance and my front end works great! as good if not better than any other front end on the snow.

Yes i did, I went with the QS3R's 2.0 with rebound, Eibach springs valved by Monster Performance and my front end works great! as good if not better than any other front end on the snow.
Starting to work on my sled for the upcoming season. Do you happen to know the part numbers for the shocks

well i dont know a ton about shocks but i have 4500 miles on my qs3-r and they seem to be working like new..do i get them rebuilt just because someone told me too?

Back