• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front Shocks....how important are they....really?

SIMMER

TY 4 Stroke Master
I see alot of guys put alot of money into their front shocks and I could never figure it out. Rear shocks....absolutley because my A$$ is on it all day long. Fronts....?

I have a 2005 RX1 and I dialed my front shocks in last season over the course of 1 trip and never touched them again. Someone please explain to me why the FOX Floats and OHLINS and all these other expensive shocks are any more noticably better than a standard pair of shocks that came with my 2005 RX1.

I guess what I am asking...if I were to go out and spend $750 on FOX Floats would I really see $750 worth of performance out of them? I doubt it.

I'm open for opinions.... :Rockon:

06 Attak [standard] with added on GYTR fronts. Went to the UP for a bagger trip last week. After adjusting compression AND rebound, could hit stutter bumps and big moguls at will. 70 mph through 6-8" stutters and couldn't feel them!! Well worth the investment. can't speak for Floats, only limited ride time at the demos last year. Have Ohlins on my Viper. Takes big hits WAY better than the stock shocks, marginally better in the stutters. Hope this helps ya'!!

Dave

I have Ohlins on the front of my 05 RX-1, and like Viper Dave says, it takes the big hits way better. Plus the slightly higher than stock spring rates help it corner flatter.

front shocks?

in order to cash in on the whole ball of wax yes by all means get better front shocks you will thank your self in the end all big companys always work with all four or three shocks its a must do kim

Viper_Dave said:
06 Attak [standard] with added on GYTR fronts. Went to the UP for a bagger trip last week. After adjusting compression AND rebound, could hit stutter bumps and big moguls at will. 70 mph through 6-8" stutters and couldn't feel them!! Well worth the investment. can't speak for Floats, only limited ride time at the demos last year. Have Ohlins on my Viper. Takes big hits WAY better than the stock shocks, marginally better in the stutters. Hope this helps ya'!!

Dave

ViperDave, I am curious what settings you ended up with. I have the same shocks on my 06 Attak and haven't found my favorite setting yet. I haven't messed with the rebound at all. How many clicks out are you on both the adjusters. Also, what is the distance from the silver collar on top of shock threads to the silver collar adjusting the preload on the spring??

Couldn't say much last winter, as I didn't get the 06 RTX til March, but if you get the fox floats set right, like around 55 pounds, there is virtually no push, takes bumps great...you almost do not even notice the front end. Compared to another Apex ER, there was no comparison...the ER pushed terribly, even after adjustments...same stock skiis, same woody's duallies, stock rear monoshock, similar spring settings. Usually the woody's cause a push, but the RTX is almost perfect in the front. Going up to 70 pounds, made the front bite and added some ski lift, and a little harshness. I like the floaters..but fool around a little under the same conditions to get them where you like them. Much better than springs, so far...

Sinjin, Did I ever answer your questions? LOL, I just realized this is from back in March!! I know that I have the compression at 3 clicks from full soft and rebound is set a 5 clicks from full soft.Haven't adjusted the springs, but can get you a measurement this weekend. I realize this sounds WAY to soft, but it works. Got the setup staartingpoint from Mr. Sled. He had his backed ALL the way off. Tried that, but it was too soft for me. I also have Powderhounds on my Attak. They are lighter than the stock skiis, reducing unsprung weight.

Dave ;)!

I added GYTR's and the apex front suspension for the simple fact they are adjustable. Now when we get to the trails on wendsday and they are glass smooth I firm them up for cornering, once the weekend comes soften them up for the big moguls. I am swapping now so I will reply after this winter to see if it was worth it!

I have the fox floats on my 06 Apex RTX. Although I havent ridden another Apex with the standard shocks, I did come from a 2001 MXZ 800 with all the standard shocks. I have also ridden an 06 F7 SNO PRO with the Floats as well as the a 07 Phazer FX with the GTYRS. I realize that the 01 MXZ is not not even in the same league as the other sleds, but the main things I noticed with regards to better front shocks is this. The floats will ride very plush over the stutters while not bottoming out over the 2 foot moguls. What this does is make the front of the sled feel much lighter to me because I am not feeling the whole weight of the machine come down and hit hard on the chassis. This gives me alot more confidence when riding. Also for me, if this can make sense, what good shocks do is make you not think about or notice the shocks when riding. Instead of riding and thinking about the fact that I better slow down a bit because I don't want to break the shocks by bottoming out or the sled does not feel stable right now so I better slow down. I just ride how I want to and don't worry about anything. So my advice is if you ever ride and think about what better shocks would do to your sled, I would go ahead and get better shocks, but if you ride your sled and think why would I want new shocks because these do everything perfect the way i want them to, then I would stay with your stock shocks.

Viper_Dave said:
Sinjin, Did I ever answer your questions? LOL, I just realized this is from back in March!! I know that I have the compression at 3 clicks from full soft and rebound is set a 5 clicks from full soft.Haven't adjusted the springs, but can get you a measurement this weekend. I realize this sounds WAY to soft, but it works. Got the setup staartingpoint from Mr. Sled. He had his backed ALL the way off. Tried that, but it was too soft for me. I also have Powderhounds on my Attak. They are lighter than the stock skiis, reducing unsprung weight.

Dave ;)!

Viperdave, thanks for your prompt answer LOL!! Seriously, I appreciate your sharing your settings. I am running mine way firmer that you are I will try your settings this winter. I am curious to the spring preload measurement and while we are at it where are you running your preload and transfer on the rear skid? Do you have the stock or bigboy spring? What is your weight?? Thanks for your input. Dave

Getting back to the original question, I'd say front shocks are darned important. When you get the back end dialed in to the point where you have time to pay attention to what the front end is doing, that's when you'll notice something is out of whack. And the rougher it gets, the more you'll notice it.

I'd say the fronts are just as important for long day rides as the rears. If you are taking a beating through the bars and working you a$$ off steering, what difference does it make if your butt feels good, wore out is wore out. The aftermarket shock will all take more of a beating with less fade than stockers, and stockers valved for your weight and ridding style will out last out of the box stockers. I like knowing when I go into a long stretch of stutters, that my sled will react the same as it does on the smooth. If you have never had shocks that are adjustable, you will never know the differnece, but once you have had them you will feel lost with out them. Shocks and skis are in my feeling the most important component to have perfect then work on the rest of the sled. Maxdlx

So If I'am buying new front shocks wich should I get? I have Mountain T-rx1 03 holts wide front end 41-42 with stock 03 shocks shorter travel for mountain as it was 38.5. GTYR,s or floats?

Can I replace 16.5" shocks with 17.5" shocks?

Back