• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front skid spring

Mr.Winder

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder
I have an 18 mtx with a fox air shock in the front skid with around 75 psi in it. Also where the skid bolts to the chassis in the rear I have it in the highest setting. My buddy has a 17 mtx with a stingray mod spring in it and the bolt in the middle setting. Comparing the two they handle completely different. My front end feels really heavy and I have to really work to pull on over compared to his where it is very easy and pulls right over. Any advice to get my front end like that using the air shock or do I need to switch it to a coil over? Do I need to lower the suspension to the middle setting or leave it in the highest? Thank you

I have an 18 mtx with a fox air shock in the front skid with around 75 psi in it. Also where the skid bolts to the chassis in the rear I have it in the highest setting. My buddy has a 17 mtx with a stingray mod spring in it and the bolt in the middle setting. Comparing the two they handle completely different. My front end feels really heavy and I have to really work to pull on over compared to his where it is very easy and pulls right over. Any advice to get my front end like that using the air shock or do I need to switch it to a coil over? Do I need to lower the suspension to the middle setting or leave it in the highest? Thank you

do the 18's have the 2 mounting holes in the front of the tunnel as well? What do you mean by your's is set in the highest setting? As in the top hole out of the 3 on the rear mounting point?

One thing to remember on the 18 MTX's is that they have the dropped and rolled chain case which the 17's do not, which will could be the reason for the different factory settings. I would try upping the front track shock pressure in 5 psi increments to see if there is some noticeable differences before ordering parts. What is the rear shock at ?

I put the Zbros 240lbs + spring in my MTX and it definitely helped... just picked up a set of QS3 floats that I'm going to try on the 17 to see if I can achieve the same light front end while having the ability to lock out the rear shock for climbing.

do the 18's have the 2 mounting holes in the front of the tunnel as well? What do you mean by your's is set in the highest setting? As in the top hole out of the 3 on the rear mounting point?

One thing to remember on the 18 MTX's is that they have the dropped and rolled chain case which the 17's do not, which will could be the reason for the different factory settings. I would try upping the front track shock pressure in 5 psi increments to see if there is some noticeable differences before ordering parts. What is the rear shock at ?

I put the Zbros 240lbs + spring in my MTX and it definitely helped... just picked up a set of QS3 floats that I'm going to try on the 17 to see if I can achieve the same light front end while having the ability to lock out the rear shock for climbing.
Yes the 18 has 2 mounting holes in the front. Mine is in the lower hole. What would changing that affect?

On the rear mount I'm on the lowest whole which raises the chassis as high as it goes. Does moving that affect anything?

I forgot my pump on the last trip otherwise I was going to mess with the pressure. Rear shock is at 110 psi.

Has his shocks been set to compensate for the weight differential that exists between the front left as compared to the front right.

The front right side has the exhaust, muffler, turbo, oil cooler, brackets and heat shields. The weight differential is significant.

Ideally you want 21.5% of the totally weight over each ski and the remaining 57% balanced over the rear shocks.

I just did this today to my 17 BTX. I'll post a video soon.

Yes the 18 has 2 mounting holes in the front. Mine is in the lower hole. What would changing that affect?

On the rear mount I'm on the lowest whole which raises the chassis as high as it goes. Does moving that affect anything?

I forgot my pump on the last trip otherwise I was going to mess with the pressure. Rear shock is at 110 psi.

The front mounting point will change the approach angle of the track which can also affect ski pressure, I would leave the front alone. With your skid being mounted in the bottom hole at the rear you would be creating a bit more ski pressure by lifting the back end up higher if that makes sense. So for starters i would drop that down to the center hole, check and write down all your shock pressures so you have a baseline to go from. You could also do the same for the 17 you are comparing too for the shock pressures minus the front track shock.... I'm willing to be you will need some more pressure in the front track shock to achieve the playfullness you are after.

Having to much air in the ski shocks can also make it handle poorly as well. One other thing to check is the limiter straps in the front of the rear skid up by the front track shock, make sure they aren't super short as that will create a lot of ski pressure. Should be 2 rubber straps about 1.25" wide with some holes in them to adjust the overall length.

Which spring you get?

If you keep the air shock on the front of the skid, 75 psi is way too low to correctly balance the sled and lighten the front end. I run 125+ in my BTX. Don't be afraid to try more!

I tried the upper hole in the front and the track rubbed the tunnel. I had to move it down to the lower hole. Why is there an upper hole in the front?

Get 4 bathroom scales and weigh skis, front skid shock and rear skid shock, should be 45% weight on skis and 55% back and rear 2 should be 50/50, with rider on it. I have to back of my centre spring completely and just finger tight and lock. Skis should be 75-80 psi and rear shock depends on your weight. 130-140 psi.

Get 4 bathroom scales and weigh skis, front skid shock and rear skid shock, should be 45% weight on skis and 55% back and rear 2 should be 50/50, with rider on it. I have to back of my centre spring completely and just finger tight and lock. Skis should be 75-80 psi and rear shock depends on your weight. 130-140 psi.

Where do you place the scales under the track so the bathroom scale can be read?

One with screen left of snowmobile, one with screen right, placed under shock connection

corner%20weight%20comparison%20with%20sidewinder.JPG

Here are my weights on a 17 BTX SE 153x1.75. Look at ski weights compared to apex mid mount. The impulse mod apex was way more fun to drive so if your moving weight try to move more to the rear.

Back