• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Frozen air bypass valve

No. The compressor should stall if the blowoff valve was frozen.

You must have a blown hose somewhere or a clamp leaking and not tight.

Well...perhaps that is good news?

I should also add both coolers were warm/ seemed to have coolant flowing to them

Your dealer must have delivered that sled to you without bleeding and filling cooling system correctly. It must have been practically empty except for overflow bottle. As KA says, take it to someone who knows turbo sleds and does good work. Something is really wrong to have all that goop all over everything under the hood! Blown hose, loose clamps, cut hose, etc.

Appreciate all the help. I just upgraded to VIP. Nice to see so many people supporting other Yamaha owners.

The oil level is actually a little bit low now.

Weird, the oil looks good and not like a milkshake? That is an excessive amount of oil in the intake, it had to have come from the oil tank vent. Its possible the sled was rolled at some point before you owned it, and the intake was never cleaned of oil.

Weird, the oil looks good and not like a milkshake? That is an excessive amount of oil in the intake, it had to have come from the oil tank vent. Its possible the sled was rolled at some point before you owned it, and the intake was never cleaned of oil.
Good point. Never seen that much in the intake tract, ever.

Wow...good point. Never thought of that.

Could someone have overfilled the oil tank and now its puking it out?

I hope that engine wasn't woofed before you bought it and now it has a bunch of blow-by blowing oil into the intake.

Could someone have overfilled the oil tank and now its puking it out?

I hope that engine wasn't woofed before you bought it and now it has a bunch of blow-by blowing oil into the intake.

I dont think so. It was one of two sidewinders owned by a husband and wife. It was the wife's sled.

I dont think so. It was one of two sidewinders owned by a husband and wife. It was the wife's sled.
Still could have been upside down or tipped over filling intake tract with oil.

Sorry meant to respond to KnappAttack's concern that the motor is cooked.

Or, could that be the mean same thing as "it was a little old lady's car only driven to church and back on Sunday?"

I am a little confused (nothing new). I was watching this promotional video on the internet.

At 1:18 they show how the bypass valve works. If this valve was frozen won't that pressurize the clamp at the base of the valve? To me it seems reasonable that there could be some leakage at this clamp if the bypass valve was now working property.

I have not checked the intake air filter, but if this was frozen or oiled would it not have the potential to draw oil into the air circulation system? Sorry for all the questions. I plan to call a local dealer this am an see if they can pressure test the cooling system and leak test the head gasket.

In terms of the condition of the sled - it was registered to a lady and there is hardly a mark on the the sled. No play in the bushings and no obvious signs of abuse. The key chain is teal. I know that there are lots of women that can ride pretty hard, but this sled seems to have been used pretty gently.

Look for a split in the intake hose on the bottom side between the bypass valve and the intake plenum just before the last bend.

Will do. I's also going to take it in to a mechanic I trust to trouble shoot it. The dealer I bought it from says I'm on my own and he has no residual responsibility. It was an expensive mistake doing business with him - really disappointing when these things happen. Missing my custom nytro now!

Back