• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

fuel filter

ssgzag15

Extreme
I have a 2009 apex rtx with zero miles on it, should I attempt an in-line filter before it is even fired up for the first time?, or is the sock in the tank sufficient?

I am purchasing the filter/funnel by mr.funnel. It fits in the back compartment. I will attempt to use every fill up. This crap ethanol that is put in the gas is some bad SH*T. Likes to absorb water, over time will separate (if any in your tank) ethanol and water from the fuel and lower octane level. Probably not big deal during season, but off season big deal IMO. I'm pretty sure that the beautiful people up on the hill have changed the mandatory 10% to 15% of ethanol.

I agree, I put my stuff away with the least amount of fuel in it as I can, then fuel up with fresh stuff at the start of season...

they make a couple of good ethanol specific fuel treatments and stabilzers now. startron and stabil(blue). i use it and also in my boat regularly.

I would stay with the stock in tank filter only. The fuel injected model has a large pick up with prefilter pad and does a great job. The FI is less affected by the particulates than the older carbed models. I have 2 05's with in lines because the tank filters did not seem to do the job and had to cleen jets several times a season but I am having vapor lock problems on both that I never had before. :o|

Startron claims that it can reverse the effects of E10 gas but as far as I'm concerned that's a lie. They are essentially saying that once phase-separation begins (this is when the ethanol absorbs enough water to drop out of solution with the gas) Startron can force the water out of the ethanol and then force the ethanol back into solution with the gasoline. I've done research and everywhere I've looked the fact remains: you can't reverse the effects of phase-separation, no matter what Startron claims. Personally I use Stabil Marine formula.

YamahaMainer said:
Startron claims that it can reverse the effects of E10 gas but as far as I'm concerned that's a lie. They are essentially saying that once phase-separation begins (this is when the ethanol absorbs enough water to drop out of solution with the gas) Startron can force the water out of the ethanol and then force the ethanol back into solution with the gasoline. I've done research and everywhere I've looked the fact remains: you can't reverse the effects of phase-separation, no matter what Startron claims. Personally I use Stabil Marine formula.

"Phase Seperation" Isn't that what caused Spock to revert to a child in that Star Trek Movie?

Why is snow-machining so hard my head hurts :drink:

Yamadog said:
YamahaMainer said:

"Phase Seperation" Isn't that what caused Spock to revert to a child in that Star Trek Movie?

Hahahaha! E-10 obviously still wreaks havoc in the far future too!

Just wait until they raise it to 15% Then we'll have all the same problems X 1.5

One things for sure Im glad I have a 4 stroke because the ethanol is much harder on the poor 2 jokes than it is on our more refined motors, still some nasty shiz.

ssgzag15 said:
I agree, I put my stuff away with the least amount of fuel in it as I can, then fuel up with fresh stuff at the start of season...
I on the other hand leave all my machines as full as possible in their off season, thus reducing the amount of condensation that can occur and accumulate over the duration of the off-season. And of course there is Seafoam in the fuel as well for stabalization.

Back