• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel Light Issues and Darting/Heavy Steering

How are you supposed to crank more compression into the center shock? I have shock wrenches, theres no room to get them in there and I can't turn it at all. Even the two front shocks don't want to turn, but those I don't believe have any preload set in them.

I did try turning the spring dampers around, that didn't do anything. And I put the stock carbides back on just to eliminate the snowtrackers being the issue. Trying to eliminate anything that could be the hang up before I spend more money.
If you haven't changed the lower ball joints, I highly recommend doing that. It could be your entire problem. This happened to my own Nytro, and a couple others I repaired. The machines were very hard to steer. They feel fine if the weight is off the front, but as soon as the weight is on, they tighten up and bind.

How are you supposed to crank more compression into the center shock? I have shock wrenches, theres no room to get them in there and I can't turn it at all. Even the two front shocks don't want to turn, but those I don't believe have any preload set in them.

I did try turning the spring dampers around, that didn't do anything. And I put the stock carbides back on just to eliminate the snowtrackers being the issue. Trying to eliminate anything that could be the hang up before I spend more money.
If you lift the front of the sled off the ground it will be much easier to adjust the front shocks, if they havent been adjusted for along time you may need to use a brass punch& lubricant on the threads to get the nuts started& avoid galling the threads, if you are trying to adjust the rear shock with the factory wrenches good luck! In my opinion they are junk& just bust your knuckles, the best tool ive found is a williams brand hook spanner wrench #472

If you lift the front of the sled off the ground it will be much easier to adjust the front shocks, if they havent been adjusted for along time you may need to use a brass punch& lubricant on the threads to get the nuts started& avoid galling the threads, if you are trying to adjust the rear shock with the factory wrenches good luck! In my opinion they are junk& just bust your knuckles, the best tool ive found is a williams brand hook spanner wrench #472

Oh there was no weight on the front when I tried turning the adjusters. I even took the tension off the spring and couldn't turn the collar. I'll have to use a brass punch.

I also stop by the dealer to get some lower ball joints.

You should only need to turn the
Oh there was no weight on the front when I tried turning the adjusters. I even took the tension off the spring and couldn't turn the collar. I'll have to use a brass punch.

I also stop by the dealer to get some lower ball joints.
On the front shocks you should have an aluminum nut resting against the spring, there should be another at the very top, should only need to adjust the one against the spring

I may have steered you wrong on the shims. I was messing with shims to get rid of darting before I installed the snow trackers.

Have you checked for play in the upper and lower ball joints, ski spindle bushings, and steering post pivot? I bought my 08' with 6,000 miles on it and all of those item were toast. I completely rebuilt my 08' from top to bottom with new parts and all stock 08' front end. I have the steering shaft relocate kit, my sled is stretched to 144" with tipped up rail extensions, my skis are shimmed and rubbers turned backwards, I set my suspension up front and rear per most of the recommendations in the Nytro FAQ section, I am not studded and I am running Pilot 6.9 skis with standard 6' round bar center carbides and standard 4" round bar out carbides. I get little to no darting and the thing rails the corners with a little push depending on snow conditions. My steering effort is light. I like the little push and have adjusted to it how I ride. IMO 08's get a bad wrap that is not all that deserved. G.B.

Last edited:
I double checked, the toe is zero as near I can tell. Also running the semi aggressive ones.
I was going to reduce the limiter strap but both are already at the last hole so they can't get any looser. I'll have to try to crank more spring compression into it.
I have the GYTR clicker shocks, during my ride I cranked the top adjustment (assuming thats compression) all the way soft. The bottom clicker (assuming thats rebound) I was 10 clicks from full soft. That was bottoming over some bumps, but I really couldn't go harder because it made it worse to turn.

Also have the Star Suspension skid relocate with 4" rail extensions. I've heard the skid relocate puts more ski pressure down which may be part of the culprit but no turning back now.

You mention the ski toe alignment is zero, so you really should have a slight toe out, try 1/8in and at most 1/4 in, this does help with darting as well.

Snowtrackers instructions specifically say 0 toe. That's where I've always run them. And had no tracking.

If you haven't changed the lower ball joints, I highly recommend doing that. It could be your entire problem. This happened to my own Nytro, and a couple others I repaired. The machines were very hard to steer. They feel fine if the weight is off the front, but as soon as the weight is on, they tighten up and bind.

Have you checked for play in the upper and lower ball joints, ski spindle bushings, and steering post pivot? I bought my 08' with 6,000 miles on it and all of those item were toast. I completely rebuilt my 08' from top to bottom with new parts and all stock 08' front end. I have the steering shaft relocate kit, my sled is stretched to 144" with tipped up rail extensions, my skis are shimmed and rubbers turned backwards, I set my suspension up front and rear per most of the recommendations in the Nytro FAQ section, I am not studded and I am running Pilot 6.9 skis with standard 6' round bar center carbides and standard 4" round bar out carbides. I get little to no darting and the thing rails the corners with a little push depending on snow conditions. My steering effort is light. I like the little push and have adjusted to it how I ride. IMO 08's get a bad wrap that is not all that deserved. G.B.

Good call https://streamable.com/1s52jp

I've got replacements and if that improves it I'll go through the whole front end this summer. Its a second sled, so it can sit out the rest of the year if needed.

Edit: I'm just going to go the Mountaintech A Arm route. The lower ball joints were $180, the Mountaintech trail A Arms are $649 which I wanted to do eventually, no better time for next year.

Last edited:

Back