• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel pump issues

Jimphazer

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Phazer
Bought a 08 phazer as soon as it got cold it did the relay freeze up. Warmed it up, would work again, would freeze up as per what looks normal. Parked at the cottage This time when trying to start relay seemed fine had volts to pump but pump wouldn’t run. Pulled pump jumped it to a battery direct and wouldn’t run ordered new pump and 3 new red cold weather relays checked new pump with jumper ran perfectly. Checked voltage to the pump connector and when key turned on I only get voltage for about 1-2 seconds then nothing. Any ideas?

If it does that just when you turn the key to run, that's normal as that's the system priming. Once you go to crank, it will kick in again. Does it crank and start?

If it does that just when you turn the key to run, that's normal as that's the system priming. Once you go to crank, it will kick in again. Does it crank and start?
I will try that cranking it, but I can’t hear the pump running even to prime the fuel system. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

I will try that cranking it, but I can’t hear the pump running even to prime the fuel system. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.[/QUOTE
Cranks over and over but no fuel pump humming like it use to when it was running fine.

Is there a minimum battery voltage for the signal to get to the relay. Could my battery just be crappy?

Yes, but yours is able to crank so I doubt that's it. Just be sure to keep it charged up during these tests.

And just to be sure, you did check ALL the fuses? Not just visually but with a meter?

Yes, but yours is able to crank so I doubt that's it. Just be sure to keep it charged up during these tests.

And just to be sure, you did check ALL the fuses? Not just visually but with a meter?
Sure a lot nicer checking stuff when it isn't 25 below. I will check the fuses with a meter next I only did the visual.

Just to confirm, the pump is running on the bench with voltage applied, and you get voltage to the plug. When you plug it in and try it the pump does not run?

That is correct I am almost 100% sure if I put power direct to pump right now the sled would start. I should test the slots where the relay plugs in and see if I have a good signal ?

How do the sockets look in the plug? Are they dirty or corroded?

You might have been able to get contact with a meter but hopefully it may be as simple as not be getting a good contact to the pump?

Instead of a meter, try using a bulb that will have some current draw. Sometimes a meter will read voltage but any real current draw craps out.

One possibility is the contacts inside the connector got spread out and don't contact the pin. That happens sometimes when a probe that is too big is inserted in a connector and loses tension.

That sounds like a possibility, I will check with a good old 12 volt bulb tester. See where I do have power.

So I checked with a bulb tester on the wire connector at the pump and it stays lit for 2.5 seconds then turns off. Cant hear pump run at all when plugged in so I pulled it out and it will not run with 12 volts supplied on the bench now. What could have happened?

Bad gas, ran dry too many times, built on a Friday, Corona?

Back