• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FX Nytro overheating

I don't think the speedometer cowl is the best place to open a vent either. Your going to have snow, steam, heat blasting you in the face. I did see a post were someone cut several long slits in the lower part of the side panels. It didn't look bad and might help with air flow but it also may cause more of an issue with wet feet. The BR Tech Vents for the side panels don't look bad either. I'm just not sure if it's the answer.

Has anyone consider running a secondary fan or maybe modifying the radiator fan into a dual fan setup?

What JDS1000 wrote is true the heat from the engine comes out those two little vents that our knees cover up, and at our feet primarily the left. There is not enough air moving through to keep cool so the snomobile overheats and so does our feet. So the tunnel heat exchanger is left to do the rest of the job. Its not enough when there isn't snow. If you look at the older snomobiles from the past the hood has many vents, the engine compartment is not as cramped and this gives air flow, what you need to cool. Adding another heat exchanger to the tunnel will probably help, but what about the rad under the air starved hood it needs more incoming and exiting air to cool.
There are vent kits out there, and I'm sure it would do two things cool the engine bay, and not be so hot on our feet. BRTechRacing.com is one, and maybe Sledsolutions.com

The speedometer cowl is over/in front of the exchanger so that would imo not help that much at all. A hood vent and bigger vents in the back/side of the sidepanels to escape the air could help?? Letting alot of air in doesnt help if it cant get out of there and that should the biggest problem.

Here are the mods I did to help remove underhood heat. I added some vents and drilled out some holes in a couple of body panels.

Attachments

• t_dscf0993a_112.jpg
    t_dscf0993a_112.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 223
  • t_dscf0992a_997.jpg
    t_dscf0992a_997.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 239
  • t_dscf0987a_109.jpg
    t_dscf0987a_109.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 206
Grimm said:
Here are the mods I did to help remove underhood heat. I added some vents and drilled out some holes in a couple of body panels.

where'd you get that?

They're called XXXModrod vents. Found them searching another forum.

Did anyone notice that the Yamaha race sleds are using collant filled tunnel protectors? I bet that would be the hot set up for getting rid of the ice build-up in the tunnel, plus would help with the running temp also.

berge75 said:
Did anyone notice that the Yamaha race sleds are using collant filled tunnel protectors? I bet that would be the hot set up for getting rid of the ice build-up in the tunnel, plus would help with the running temp also.

I would agree, that would probably work.

anyone know what the actual coolant temp is when the overheat light comes on? is yamaha being conservative with the temp at which the light comes on??? just thinking out loud

Coolant light comes on at 212*F.

allen tried to call three times left msg

what about diluting the coolant..how much...and what about water wetter.. etc?

My 08 nytro overheated a few times(shut down twice); even with water wetter. My 09 xtx never ever overheated or had the light come on with 1/2 bottle of water wetter added.

Back