• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FYI - Royal Purple, Race-Gas, Torco octane booster stability

Turboflash

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 ZR9000 Ltd. 137 - PEFI Stage 4
Just FYI on these 2 octane boosters.
Most of us know the popular ones. I was asking about stability of product left in original container (only pouring some it into gas tank and re-capping the container AND how stable the mixed gas in the tank is.
Below are responses I got from Royal Purple Max-Boost, Race-Gas, and Torco regarding stability of their products.

Royal Purple Max-Boost (https://www.royalpurple.com/product/max-boost-octane-booster/).
From James Morrissey Senior Automotive Technical Support
"Unopened sealed bottles of Royal Purple Max-Boost (part #11757, 16 oz. bottle), that are stored in a reasonable temperature controlled environment and out of indirect or direct sunlight should have a shelf life of 5 years.
Opened bottles of Max Boost should be immediately installed into a gas tank and mixed with gas.

Opened bottles with any remaining product inside should not be recapped or saved, as the product is going to oxidize extremely rapidly(minutes) and be rendered useless. The instructions on the bottle indicate “pour entire bottle into gas tank”, for this exact reason.​

Race-Gas (http://race-gas.com/).
Dan Muldowney
"Unopened cans technically have unlimited shelf life. Opened cans that have been properly resealed should last a year, (sometime more).
Blended fuel will spoil quickly. New blends of fuel are more volatile than they were even 5 years ago. I recommend using a fuel stabilizer if the fuel is going to sit more than 2 weeks. It is just cheap insurance.

Dan Muldowney
Motorsports Fuel & Equipment
Torco
Via phone call, they told me unopened product has a 5 yr shelf life. Opened product should be good for 2-3 months if sealed in original container. Blended gas in tank should be ok for 4 weeks (same as premium unleaded gas). Easy to see if product is good - pour into clear glass container. It should be clear to light amber color. If it look darker like tea or coffee, its bad.
Still waiting for answers from Amsoil, and Lucas. VP not an option for me due to higher cost and limited availability.

I'm not sure if Dragon Concentrate is available anymore, but it was the best I have tried. Torco seemed close, but both leave orange on spark plugs and thru exhaust which IMO requires plugs to be changed often even though they all say it does no harm I disagree. When you see orange flecks right in the product it makes one believe if its really safe to run. Seems to me the solid particles of this orange stuff would be abrasive.

I tried some Klotz booster this winter and to me that seemed absolutely worthless and did nothing for an octane booster and getting rid of the dash lighting up and timing being pulled on the logs. I won't use it again.

I'm going to try and get my hands on some Dragon concentrate again or at least call to see if they still make it.

Some of the booster and concentrate like the VP is leaded which will mess up the 02 sensor if you use one, so you really need to watch for that. For the most part it seems the ones that work will turn things orange in the combustion chamber and exhaust so plan to change plugs more often.

Interesting, all these formulas use the same main ingredient of mmt but have quite different storage rules and useful life info. Royal purple being the most fussy but yet offers very little octane increase. 16oz in 25 gallons for 3 numbers isnt much unless its dirt cheap to buy. Curious why they dont add stabilization or phase seperation properties to them as well? Boostane prevents phase seperation(their claim) and can be mixed with fuel and left unused for periods of time(also their claim) but shelf life of unopened cans is 2 years and opened cans that are properly sealed should be used in a year. Like everything else with mmt you will get some orange residue on everything. I had some boostane in a clear tube for a few months in a cabinet in the cold storage area of my shop and it looked the same as when I poured it in. It doesnt have the flakes floating around like the others that settle to the bottom in short time. Not a lab controlled test but interesting none the less. I mix 16oz of boostane professional in 85 gallons of fuel at a time( bulk tank at home for sleds) to raise from claimed 91 octane to claimed 94.
No issues having it sit a few weeks till fuel is used up and no decrease in effectiveness from what I can see datalogging. Most of them will likely do their part in reducing or eliminating knock, its going to come down to ease of availability, what your comfortable with using, and how much you want to spend. Interesting post though, most people likely focus on the octane increase and not the shelf life or mixed life on the product. Good information to know when deciding on a product to use or try.

Curious... for the products listed here in this post, do they offer a manufacturing (or "best before") date on their containers? Providing a value of 5 years for shelf life is great as long as an initial "starting" date is provided. The product could could be years old before the consumer ever purchases it from a retailer...

Just FYI on these 2 octane boosters.
Most of us know the popular ones. I was asking about stability of product left in original container (only pouring some it into gas tank and re-capping the container AND how stable the mixed gas in the tank is.
Below are responses I got from Royal Purple Max-Boost, Race-Gas, and Torco regarding stability of their products.

Royal Purple Max-Boost (https://www.royalpurple.com/product/max-boost-octane-booster/).
From James Morrissey Senior Automotive Technical Support
"Unopened sealed bottles of Royal Purple Max-Boost (part #11757, 16 oz. bottle), that are stored in a reasonable temperature controlled environment and out of indirect or direct sunlight should have a shelf life of 5 years.
Opened bottles of Max Boost should be immediately installed into a gas tank and mixed with gas.

Opened bottles with any remaining product inside should not be recapped or saved, as the product is going to oxidize extremely rapidly(minutes) and be rendered useless. The instructions on the bottle indicate “pour entire bottle into gas tank”, for this exact reason.​

Race-Gas (http://race-gas.com/).
Dan Muldowney
"Unopened cans technically have unlimited shelf life. Opened cans that have been properly resealed should last a year, (sometime more).
Blended fuel will spoil quickly. New blends of fuel are more volatile than they were even 5 years ago. I recommend using a fuel stabilizer if the fuel is going to sit more than 2 weeks. It is just cheap insurance.

Dan Muldowney
Motorsports Fuel & Equipment
Torco
Via phone call, they told me unopened product has a 5 yr shelf life. Opened product should be good for 2-3 months if sealed in original container. Blended gas in tank should be ok for 4 weeks (same as premium unleaded gas). Easy to see if product is good - pour into clear glass container. It should be clear to light amber color. If it look darker like tea or coffee, its bad.
Still waiting for answers from Amsoil, and Lucas. VP not an option for me due to higher cost and limited availability.
I have about 3/4 tank of 91 and a half bottle of torco in my tank and it’s looking like I won’t get much grass racing in due to work should I just drain my tank or can I leave till fall?

I have about 3/4 tank of 91 and a half bottle of torco in my tank and it’s looking like I won’t get much grass racing in due to work should I just drain my tank or can I leave till fall?
Is the 91 non ethanol? If not i would definitely drain it out(the plastic hand pumps with bulb at the top like used for keresone work great) ethanol fuel breaks down in less than 2 months & causes alot of issues with tank, pump, injectors etc

i have been working with race fuel additives for 30 years and when mixed in a container that is sealed and not exposed to heat or extreme cold last for @ 2 weeks before degrading, also running the race fuel add does corode you o2 sensors as well as wide band,... pulled mine out out and it was rusted due to the high oxidization rate of race fuels. i use Race Gas unleaded as well as thenew VP additive to make batchs of 97 octane with sunoco/petro canada 94.

0ctanium-Unleaded-Quart_2021.png

Going to try this next season

KnappAttack...re: Dragon Concentrate

For pricing and local dealer information please call (800) 286-2500

Dragon Race Fuel Concentrate transforms a quality 93 premium pump gasoline into a 102 octane high performance unleaded race fuel. Dragon race fuel concentrate and a premium gasoline will perform as well as any unleaded race fuel within the limits of compression and RPM's.

Dragon Race Fuel Concentrate and a quality premium gasoline will make a superior performance fuel for all types of racing applications such as motorcycles, boats, jet ski's, snowmobiles, go-carts and all other off road performance applications. Dragon Racing Fuel Oncentrate is also great for two and four stroke perfromance gasoline applications.

Dragon Racing Fuel Concentrate contains state of the art octane enhancement technology.

Mixing Instructions
Treatment Ratio with 32 oz of Race Fuel Concentrate
To achieve the octane in the first column, mix 32oz of Race Fuel Concentrate with the amount of fuel in the second column.
102 Octane 5 gal premium gasoline
100 Octane. 10 gal premium gasoline
98 Octane. 15 gal premium gasoline
96 Octane. 20 gal premium gasoline
Note: This prodcut does not contain any type of oxygenated components. For best results add entire can to gasoline container before adding gasoline.

View attachment 161371

Going to try this next season
I used the leaded version this past winter and plan on using the unleaded version this year as I have added an O2 sensor.

The only issue with the unleaded version is that it's not sold at my local Canadian tire like the leaded version is.

Is the 91 non ethanol? If not i would definitely drain it out(the plastic hand pumps with bulb at the top like used for keresone work great) ethanol fuel breaks down in less than 2 months & causes alot of issues with tank, pump, injectors etc
I always run non eth just for that reason

I’m more curious about the half bottle of torco in the tank

I’m more curious about the half bottle of torco in the tank
If it were me I would drain. Take some torco, shake it up good and pour it some in a glass jar and let it sit a while. You will see how it seperates and settles to the bottom. This goes on when its mixed with gas as well. They all do it if they contain mmt which is why they can become unstable. This seperating is what lead me to boostane as it contains mmt and doesnt seperate. Its good for long term storage. I have some pure boostane in a clear jar as well as some gas mixed with it that have been sitting for quite some time and they look like the day I poured them in. Gonna keep an eye on them over the summer and see what they do.

Ya the apps pretty sweet, tells you exactly how much you need depending on which of their products your using. Even tells you how much it costs per gallon to use their product at your desired mix rate.

Back