• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gains from an Ulmer Clutch Kit

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 viper mtx
2015 viper mtx 153x2.6. All stock except for a mbrp trail can.

How much of gain in performance will there be with an Ulmer clutch kit? Can you feel it with the seat of the pants Dyno? Does the clutch kit make it pull harder during acceleration? Is it worth the price of the kit? Any reviews are welcome.

Here's my 2 cents:

Not exactly apples-to-apples but on my Nytro I went from pretty much a stock sled with a a slip-on to a clutched, K&N intake, and full exhaust sled in the off season. While I would say the sled felt a bit stronger it wasn't like I added a turbo if that's what you're expecting.

I think if a person went from stock to clutched back-to-back I think a person would notice more of a difference than upgrading during the off season, or if you made the changes and raced a buddies sled that remained the same or ran a timed run.

I think clutching/gearing has a lot to do with being setup best for your riding style - track lug size, rider weight, gearing, on trail/off trail, economy/aggressive, etc. Stock setups are meant to be middle of the road which works for most average riders and any setup from a reputable vendor will most definitely be an improvement.

You might be able to "do it cheaper" buying all the components yourself but chances are the local vendors have a lot more seat time and can help you get dialed in much quicker without much more of a cash investment on your end.

Stock clutching from the factory on Viper MTX is calibrated for off-trail snow and 10,000 feet of elevation. If you are riding in those conditions aftermarket clutching will not be a huge change. If you are riding at low elevation with stock clutches and gears then proper clutch calibration will transform your riding experience. Bumping off the rev limiter kills the performance of these sleds. How and where do you ride your sled? If you are mechanically savvy enough to turn a wrench and you can read your tachometer it isn’t that hard to make the changes yourself.

Stock clutching from the factory on Viper MTX is calibrated for off-trail snow and 10,000 feet of elevation. If you are riding in those conditions aftermarket clutching will not be a huge change. If you are riding at low elevation with stock clutches and gears then proper clutch calibration will transform your riding experience. Bumping off the rev limiter kills the performance of these sleds. How and where do you ride your sled? If you are mechanically savvy enough to turn a wrench and you can read your tachometer it isn’t that hard to make the changes yourself.
Added rivet weights and adjusted secondary spring tension to Yamaha specs for 6000 feet from a the factory 10,000 feet set up. Will there be difference enough to justify a $400 for a clutch kit? Yes I am capable of installing a clutch kit/ making clutch adjustment changes.

Added rivet weights and adjusted secondary spring tension to Yamaha specs for 6000 feet from a the factory 10,000 feet set up. Will there be difference enough to justify a $400 for a clutch kit? Yes I am capable of installing a clutch kit/ making clutch adjustment changes.
In short. Is is worth $400 for an afterMarket clutch kit, or is the Yamaha clutch specs for your specific elevation good?

In short. Is is worth $400 for an afterMarket clutch kit, or is the Yamaha clutch specs for your specific elevation good?

It all depends on how much you value $400 and what you expect to get from it. I don’t know you personally so I can’t answer that question.

I would try some different setups and see how you like them. Search TY

o_O

Back